Healthy Turkey Burgers on the Kamado Joe!

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
TurkeyBurger.jpg

I'm trying to maintain my own New Year's Resolution to eat healthier and lose weight this year, but I can't stop cooking on the grill! I'm down 13 pounds so far :) This weekend, I decided to try some turkey burgers and kick them up a notch with some added flavors and the results were really delicious! Here's my recipe:

Kamado Joe Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:

1 pound ground turkey
4 whole wheat sandwich rounds
4 pieces of lettuce
4 slices of tomato
1 egg, beaten (or egg substitute to reduce cholesterol)
1 clove of minced garlic
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 ounce grated asiago cheese

Directions:

Combine the egg, garlic, horseradish and worcestershire sauce in a small mixing bowl and mix well. In another mixing bowl, add the ground turkey and then add the egg mixture along with the bell pepper, green onion and asiago cheese. Mix the ingredients thoroughly. Cover with plastic and put in the refrigerator for an hour.

Setup your grill for two-zone cooking and preheat the grill to a dome temperature of about 500°F.

After the grill has been prepared, divide your ground turkey mixture into four equal parts and press them into patties. Place the patties on the direct heat side of the grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side to sear. Move to the indirect side of the grill and continue cooking until the patties reach an internal temperature of at least 160°F. Remove from the grill. Place a slice of lettuce, a cooked patty and a slice of fresh tomato on each bun and serve!

Here's the video I made of this cook:

[ame]http://youtu.be/5PaOmfrFt_k[/ame]

Love the recipe, John. I have to doctor up turkey burgers quite a bit before I can enjoy them. This looks really good. Thanks for posting!

Love Kamado Joe turkey burgers John! Those look outstanding! Thanks for the video/recipe... it'll be one of my next cooks.

I forgot to mention that these turkey burgers, as served, ring in at 305 calories each :)

Love the recipe, John. I have to doctor up turkey burgers quite a bit before I can enjoy them. This looks really good. Thanks for posting!

Tish, what do you like to do to yours?

I make turkey burgers all the time, I add shredded zucchini to it for added moisture, I also freeze them before I grill them, they don't stick as much. Great looking burger John
<<<< That's a healthy turkey burger

No doubt in my mind there John, that is def good eats.

John - best of luck on your quest to eat healthier. What would have the calorie count have been with a regular 80/20 beef pattie?

Varies but depending on his patty size 1/4 lb of 80/20 is 288cals compared to @200 for 85/15 turkey. But about 1/3 of the fat and other things.

Properly seasoned and cooked, turkey burgers is GOOOOOOOOD!

Look like you nailed it! :thumb:

Great looking burger!

I like turkey burgers sub lettuce wrap instead of bun and add guacamole and either pico or salsa to it. The guac will raise your calorie count and fat some, but it is good calories and food fat that it adds. It also gives the nice rich fatty texture that people like from mayo and other condiments that I leave off when using guac and salsa.

Back