• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

4th of July brisket fail...

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Made my first run with our new Camp Chef Woodwind. Could not find a whole packer to save my life, ended up with a flat. Went in the smoke at 250. When I started checking for doneness, the edges probed easily, but the center did not. Two hours later, the center probed like butter, but the whole thing ended up way overcooked. I did not do a Texas crutch. Any thoughts as to where i went astray? Was I wrong to wait so long when the edges were already done?

Flats don't have that nice fat insulation like a packer so maybe wrap next time. I always wrap with butcher paper when the temp of the flat is around 160-170.

Made my first run with our new Camp Chef Woodwind. Could not find a whole packer to save my life, ended up with a flat. Went in the smoke at 250. When I started checking for doneness, the edges probed easily, but the center did not. Two hours later, the center probed like butter, but the whole thing ended up way overcooked. I did not do a Texas crutch. Any thoughts as to where i went astray? Was I wrong to wait so long when the edges were already done?

The piece of meat that you started with possibly made it an uphill battle to begin with.

Was that flat "USDA Choice" by chance?

No failure, only learning opportunities. Except for the brisket I did back in March. That was a fail.:laugh: But it does sound like you had your work cut out for you smoking just a flat. I'm still a brisket newbie but the flat always gives me fits, particularly the middle.

A lot of people including myself smoked a flat as their first brisket because that was all they could find. Find a good butcher or meat distributor that sells to the public in your area to get packers. My wife was able to save my early brisket attempts by braising the brisket in beef broth or throwing it in the pressure cooker with beef broth.

Your next one will be better!

Chris

Last edited:
My first brisket cook was also a flat...

and it was terrible. I'm talking, "Order a pizza!" terrible.

So have faith and have fun. Keep trying and learn, learn, learn.

Falling apart when you sliced?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I do flats often, since I cook for two usually. I have had the same problem. I will loosely wrap the ends of the flat with foil to act as a heat shield when I notice they are getting close. It's not perfect, but it does help.

Back