View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default prep and cook of whole pork shoulder, looking for tips

I've wanted to buy one of the SRF kurobuta pork shoulders for a long time but have never been able to pull the trigger. I've cooked picnics and I've cooked butts, but never both still attached to one another.

I called a family owned butcher in Kansas City I've bought a whole pig from before if they'd sell me the whole shoulder, and of course they would. They buy their pigs from a local farm(s) "The hogs are a cross-breed of Cheshire White, Yorkshire, Berkshire, Duroc, Landrace and Hampshire."

Anyhow, they asked if I wanted it skin on or skin off. I wasn't sure at the time, so I just opted for skin on and figured I'd remove it if I were so inclined.

Here's the hunk-o-meat

When I buy picnic roasts, like many or most probably are, there is still skin attached on one side of it and the shank. I've always cross hatched the skin/fat and seasoned and been pretty happy with the meat underneath, although the skin isn't really edible after cooking.

I'd planned to at least remove the skin off the "Boston butt" portion of the shoulder, and at most leave the skin on the picnic as I'm used to finding it from the grocery store. However, looking at how SRF sells theirs, they look to remove all the skin. The shoulder weighs 18lbs.

My goal is that the meat underneath is as flavorful from the cooking process as possible. I know the picnic roast is generally considered to be more lean and the skin may help protect it some. My plan is to cook it on my drum, probably using just salt, or maybe salt and a little pepper, something more "Carolina style" than what we're used to doing around these parts.

What do you think?