Pie Iron chat

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As a young lad, I recall camping with my Grandparents. I got good at cooking using a "pie iron".
It's been 40 years since I held one, much less used one.
Today, I am the proud owner of a dual pie iron.
So... whatcha-all got? Any good recipes?

That is really neat, never knew of their existence.

But now I'm awaiting that annoying infomercial lady (Cathy?) to pop up with the electric version she was hawking a few years ago.

That is really neat, never knew of their existence.

That makes me sad. The food that comes out of these are like nothing else you've ever had. It's like a campfire panini pie, kinda.
The units themselves are very cheap (as can be seen by above link) so my recommendation would be to try a recipe the next time you've got your grill hot. The worst thing that happens, is that you ruin two pieces of bread and a few ounces of fruit or meat.

Here's how to season the irons (much like any other cast iron);

[ame]https://youtu.be/lVTZtoQ2fgE[/ame]

As a young lad, I recall camping with my Grandparents. I got good at cooking using a "pie iron".
It's been 40 years since I held one, much less used one.
Today, I am the proud owner of a dual pie iron.
So... whatcha-all got? Any good recipes?

I got you on this Bob. I've had a single and Double Pie Iron for years. We camp almost every weekend in the summer. My Wife, 4 and 2 year old boys, and myself all have our favorite go to's.

My Favorite? Campfire Cubans in the double. I do huge batches of homemade ham that I use throughout hte year, swiss, mustard, pickles, on some nice panini bread in the double and you've got a perfect sandwich.

My Wife - She makes pizza sandwiches. Paninin bread, pizza sauce, pepperoni, peppers, etc.

Boys - They prefer peanut butter and banana sandwiches with regular bread. We also do smore sandwiches too..money!

Whatever you do, few tips that are key.
1) Season it. I do it with Bacon. Throw oil/bacon/crisco in the pie iron and drop in on some coals for a few minutes. Not tool long or it will burn and you'll have to start over.
2) Befor you make a sandwich, every sandwich, you need to either butter the bread or drop a dollup of butter in the pie iron itself. Otherwise, you wont get you bread back.
3) Don't put it in flames, just set it on some hot coals. 3 or so mins per side (assuming it was hot to start which it should be). Check regularly, it will burn fast.

Once you get good, the recipe portfolio is endless, and awesome. Happy pie ironing brother..

My wife has them from Girl Scouts. Hers are single. We've made pies (Doh!) using canned pie filling and white bread. You can also make a sandwich with white bread and your choice of meats.

One of those things I've wanted to try, but never have!

Just an fyi for those reading this thread, Menards has singles on sale (after store credit rebate) for $2.99 until the 4th. Just in case anyone is interested --> https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-recreation/camping/camping-cooking-accessories-tableware/guidesman-trade-cast-iron-pie-cooker/p-1444442636344-c-7845.htm?tid=-9154926666002540209&ipos=1

Thanks for the link- I'm going to get one. I also did not know these things existed but it looks like something the kids and I might enjoy using.

Bob in STL- great thread! :thumb:

Bob in STL- great thread! :thumb:

You're very welcome! :thumb:
I'm surprise these are new to folks, but glad to "spread the word" of them.
I'm definitely thinking they'd be great for snacking during a long BBQ/smoke session. I like to bring unexpected surprise snacks to my family while I cook, so this will be a great addition to the "surprise snack arsenal".

Yep, I love the pie irons when I go camping, but I only have singles myself. Usually do regular pies (canned pie filling between white bread), and pizza pockets. I like the idea of a Cuban though...I'll be sure to try that sometime. Make sure you lube up the inside with cooking spray oil each time to avoid the dreaded sticking. And check them often when cooking. They will go from golden brown and delicious to burnt to an inedible crisp in a matter of moments. Like cooking pancakes, you're gonna have a couple of bad ones till you get it just right.

Bob, we go camping alot and have had one since the beginning. Our family favorite filling is nutella. Wifey likes them sprinkled with a little cinnamon after their done with a glass of wine. Have fun.

The first and only time I've seen one of these was about 20 yrs ago in the Army. One of my buddies would always bring it out in the field with him. He cooked smores, and all kinds of sandwiches on a little propane burner.
I thought it was the coolest thing!!

Back