No Salt Rub

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
1. What’s your favorite no salt (not low sodium, zero) rub/seasoning

2. What would you like to see in a no salt seasoning?

(and yes. I am doing research :) )

Thanks for your help.

It's funny that I have never bought a no salt rub because I am certainly someone that should limit salt intake. I have looked at them before, but never purchased because I reckon it is all a bunch of bullsugar. If I survive my first heart attack I will probably be solidly in the market.

Usually it takes flavor to replace lower amounts of salt. But here is something to whet your imagination on.... the numbers are open to experimentation.

No Salt Rib Rub for Honey Coated Ribs - There is no salt in this rub, no sugar either. All the sweet comes at the end.
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder

Warmed honey

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Brush ribs with warm honey about 10 minutes before ribs come off the pit.

I have never had a good one, but if anybody can make a good one, it’s you.

I was making my own no-salt rubs - essentially just leaving salt out of rub recipes. I'd like to find commercially available no-salt rubs from places like Oakridge, but I suspect that won't happen.

I'm not against salt, but I like being in control of it, in both quantity and quality. Many of the rubs I have now have way too much salt in them turning whatever I use it on into salt licks. And the MIL cannot have much salt, so I feel she misses out on flavor.

I can tell you what I don't want in a no-salt seasoning - paprika and sugar. I don't think American style paprika brings much to the flavor profile and I'm not a fan of sweet rubs (with an occasional exception for ribs if I'm in the mood, which isn't often).

I have a recipe that is lower on the salt side. It has plenty of brown sugar, paprika, pepper, and chili powder. But salt to me is an essential ingredient, especially in BBQ. If I was going to have an ingredient that I like to use or add to homeade stuff it would be mustard powder.

Spice house and penzeys both have a solid lineup of salt free seasoning. I mix and match them together on most things.

Their sites tell you everything that is in them, so you could get a good starting point there.

Back