• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Good call - makes sense! If the food is great who cares...assuming you start it this way for every cook? I’ll probably just leave a hole in middle and dump coals in there

Fri Nite Steak

Bought some family packs of t-bones from the local piggly wiggly and did them on the weber thurs nite- turned out very good. The butcher snuck a fred flintstone t-bone with no tenderloin on it in one of the packs so i hung it in the PBC with a coupla half chickens the next night. IT WAS AWESOME! Think all my steaks are getting hung from now on!

I've read a lot of posts in this thread because I've been a drummer for about 12 or 13 years. I saw my first PB up close in April. Realistically, I think I have read about 150 or less of the 700 posts here, and now I'm thinking of buying one.

Would you PB gals and guys tell me your top two (2) pros, and cons?

Pro: 2 short chimneys of briquettes and a mini mojo brick and it’s all I need for most of my cooks. ‘Thou shalt fill coal basket to top’ is really not true and that makes this a great cooker IMO

Con: About 6.5 hours in I really lose steam on cooks (full basket). So briskets and butts I’ve finished in oven before. Certainly could be operator error, not saying it isn’t me, but mine typically runs under 220 from that point forward and can struggle to get larger cuts to the finish line.

Cons.

1 Lack of horizontal space. 18inch rack. Not a lot of room for laying things flat.
2. Some people don’t like the taste of the fat dripping on the coals.

Only 2 things I really can complain about.

Pros: 1. price- for $300 i can serve meat that many say rivals the low & slow stick burners.
2. portability- pretty ez for this old fart to put it in the pickup to take to camp or wherever. Moving my son's pellet grill takes 2 men & a large dog, and hauling the ramps around can be problematic.
Cons: 1. as mentioned, horizontal space. 2. hot base- bottom gets hot so i only setup on concrete or gravel, not grass or asphalt.

Pro: 2 short chimneys of briquettes and a mini mojo brick and it’s all I need for most of my cooks. ‘Thou shalt fill coal basket to top’ is really not true and that makes this a great cooker IMO

Con: About 6.5 hours in I really lose steam on cooks (full basket). So briskets and butts I’ve finished in oven before. Certainly could be operator error, not saying it isn’t me, but mine typically runs under 220 from that point forward and can struggle to get larger cuts to the finish line.

Are the coals burned out or is the basket clogged with ash. I use a wiggle rod on my drums during long cooks, not sure how one would fit in the PB basket.

Cons.

1 Lack of horizontal space. 18inch rack. Not a lot of room for laying things flat.
2. Some people don’t like the taste of the fat dripping on the coals.

Only 2 things I really can complain about.

My Large BGE has an 18" grate so I can work with that size. The reason I bought drums was Danny Gaulden described the aroma from a drum as the "Grandpa smell". I really like the flavor.

Pros: 1. price- for $300 i can serve meat that many say rivals the low & slow stick burners.
2. portability- pretty ez for this old fart to put it in the pickup to take to camp or wherever. Moving my son's pellet grill takes 2 men & a large dog, and hauling the ramps around can be problematic.
Cons: 1. as mentioned, horizontal space. 2. hot base- bottom gets hot so i only setup on concrete or gravel, not grass or asphalt.

My drums are easy enough for one person to lift into a pickup, and I have a mini WSM for camping or day trips, so a PB would be a happy medium.

Cool idea with the coffee can. Definitely going to try to at least make a hole in the middle and put the lit charcoal in that.

Bought some family packs of t-bones from the local piggly wiggly and did them on the weber thurs nite- turned out very good. The butcher snuck a fred flintstone t-bone with no tenderloin on it in one of the packs so i hung it in the PBC with a coupla half chickens the next night. IT WAS AWESOME! Think all my steaks are getting hung from now on!

How did you get the Fred Flintsone t-bone home without your car tipping over??

Here is my coffee can setup. Hot coals go in, the can slides out. I give credit to Cooking With Ry on Youtube for this one. It has really helped my coals burn more evenly.

I tried this technique once and got wild temp swings. I'm a temp monitor PBCer.
Let me know how this works for you.

How did you get the Fred Flintstone t-bone home without your car tipping over??

well i had to counter balance my truck with some rocks from the quarry (mr. slate was pissed btw!)- a pain but the real issue was the stop signs on the way home- feet really took a beating with all the extra weight.

Mr. Slate probably boils his ribs! Yabba Dabba BBQ

if memory serves (and it usually doesn't) mr. slate was always pissed, but with employees like fred & barney who can blame him. yabba dabba bbq might be a good name for a bbq food truck specializing in beef ribs or steaks for 2. hs106=genius.

Hectic 4th Cook & Question

Putting 6 baby back racks (3 with sauce, 3 with maple glaze), 2 half chickens, and 1 brined turkey breast on the pbc today. do you think this much meat will increase the cooking time?

Putting 6 baby back racks (3 with sauce, 3 with maple glaze), 2 half chickens, and 1 brined turkey breast on the pbc today. do you think this
much meat will increase the cooking time?

Man you're makin that PBC work today! :thumb:
I think it'll increase your cook time a little but not a lot. I'd figure 5 hrs for all that. Just a guess though.

Good luck!

I've read a lot of posts in this thread because I've been a drummer for about 12 or 13 years. I saw my first PB up close in April. Realistically, I think I have read about 150 or less of the 700 posts here, and now I'm thinking of buying one.

Would you PB gals and guys tell me your top two (2) pros, and cons?

Pros - Large Amount of Food in a very Small Footprint (8 Chicken Halves/Eight Racks of Ribs). Great flavor profile from the drippings on charcoal. Inexpensive for the versatility, and I love drilling a hole in the bone and hanging Tomahawk Ribeye's. People freak out when they see that, or a 5 pound beef tenderloin hanging.

Cons - IMO pretty much useless for high heat grilling/searing compared to my Weber or PK Grill. Charcoal basket bottom can warp over time with high heat, and you need to monitor this as a sagging bottom really affects your air flow. Ash pan is sold separately and is a must-have for easy cleanup.

They regularly pop up on Craigslist in my area for $150 to $200 range. I like mine so much I bought one for a friend.

Hello fellow PBCers,

Haven’t posted in a while but thought I would drop by and say that I wanted to fix some pulled pork as one choice for a get together tomorrow night. I needed to also complete some yard work today to get ready. So, I set everything up and fired the PBC up and put a butt on at 8:30 this morning. Set the temp alert on the FireBoard for 205* and got to working in the yard. Got the yard work done rested for about an hour and then got the beep around 2:45ish. Wrapped in foil and the bone pulled clean about 2hrs later. Love this cooker.

Hope everyone is well!!

Hello fellow PBCers,

Haven’t posted in a while but thought I would drop by and say that I wanted to fix some pulled pork as one choice for a get together tomorrow night. I needed to also complete some yard work today to get ready. So, I set everything up and fired the PBC up and put a butt on at 8:30 this morning. Set the temp alert on the FireBoard for 205* and got to working in the yard. Got the yard work done rested for about an hour and then got the beep around 2:45ish. Wrapped in foil and the bone pulled clean about 2hrs later. Love this cooker.

Hope everyone is well!!

That's why we love the PBC! It's almost like cheating!

Back