• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

sliced pork vs pulled pork

M

Maldito2

My wife prefers her pork to be sliced and not pulled. This weekend I am going to do 2 pork shoulders. One for her (sliced) and one for me (pulled). Is there anything different I need to do to keep hers firm enough to slice? I read somewhere (can't find it now) that all I need to do is not bring the internal temp up as high as for the pulled pork.

thanks

Well on the pulled you take it off at 195-200 degrees. I'm not 100% certain on the sliced, but I'd think 175-180 should do it. If it were a loin I'd say 140, but that's a different cut.

My wife prefers her pork to be sliced and not pulled. This weekend I am going to do 2 pork shoulders. One for her (sliced) and one for me (pulled). Is there anything different I need to do to keep hers firm enough to slice? I read somewhere (can't find it now) that all I need to do is not bring the internal temp up as high as for the pulled pork.

thanks

I take sliced to 180-185.

Well on the pulled you take it off at 195-200 degrees. I'm not 100% certain on the sliced, but I'd think 175-180 should do it. If it were a loin I'd say 140, but that's a different cut.

I agree. Maybe even up to 185 for the sliced and 205 for pulled.

Thanks guys.

This is my first time cooking pork shoulder. I bought two at about 4.5lb each. The way I figure it, they should take somewhere between 5-8 hours to cook at 225*F. Does that sound about right?

I would count on around 8 hours for them. I've found that the smaller butts take longer per pound to cook than the bigger ones. My 8.5#'ers usually run around 1.75hrs/lb, while the ones I do under 5# run about 2hrs/lb

One thing I've noticed about time it takes to cook a product ... depends on what it's being cooked in. Seems that it doesn't take me near as long as some people to cook at butt at 235 in my smoker. Could be because of the moisture level in there - not sure. I'm about a pound every 70-75 minutes at 235 to get to 200 internal on pork.

What are you cooking on? Maybe someone with the same or similar cooker can help out.

Thanks guys I will let you all know how it turns out tomorrow. I will try to post some pics

Back