OK....so what's up with this Turkey Soup everyone's talking about?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've made stock using chicken carcasses, and I was planning on doing the same with the bones from yesterday's turkey, but I keep seeing folks rave about turkey soup.......so I'm curious.

Can we get some turkey soup recipes posted here?

Personally, I'm a big fan of creamy soups. So are the kids. We do like a good brothy soup too, but I'm just curious what you all are doing?

Oh yeah, the turkey soup. yeah.... goes great with that PORK dish everyone here is talking about. :rolleyes:

I make my turkey soup just like chicken. Create a broth from the carcass over night on a low simmer. Strain the broth. Cut up left overs and put in broth. Put in some left over gravy. Put in a ton of veggies (celery, carrots, whatever you like really). Low simmer for maybe 1 or 2 hours. Eat.

I make my turkey soup just like chicken. Create a broth from the carcass over night on a low simmer. Strain the broth. Cut up left overs and put in broth. Put in some left over gravy. Put in a ton of veggies (celery, carrots, whatever you like really). Low simmer for maybe 1 or 2 hours. Eat.

+1 and if I don't add potatoes, I'll throw in rice or barley. Lentils are really good as well.

I used to make turkey soup every year. No specific recipe. Never made it the same way twice.
After everything Jaskew said, add the herbs you like and slow simmer. I preferred adding some pasta/egg noodles but the family liked a little rice added and cooked in the broth.
It's one of those dishes that seems to be better the next day.

I used to simmer the carcass after the vultures had picked it clean. Last year i broke the carcass down and dry roasted it in a hot oven along with big pieces of onion,celery, and carrots. I then used that to simmer with and make the stock. Huge difference. Definitely worth the extra step, and i will never do it any other way again.

Paul

Best damned Turkey and Rice soup.

Johns Smoked Turkey & Wild Rice Soup

2 Cups Smoked Turkey
10 Slices bacon
2 Tbsp Pimiento
8 Cups chicken broth or stock
1 Cup long grain or jasmine white rice
3/4 Cup Wild Rice
1 Cup finely-chopped green onions
1 1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 Cup flour
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Poultry seasoning
2 Cups half-and-half
1 Cup heavy whipping cream

Cut turkey into cubes and refrigerate while preparing soup.

Cook bacon until crisp. When cool, crumble the bacon and set aside while prepping the soup.

Chop pimiento and set aside.

Combine broth, rice & onions in large pot. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to simmer. Simmer covered for 30-45 minutes or until rice is tender.

Melt butter. Stir in flour and seasonings with whisk. Simmer over low hear, stirring constantly until smooth.

Stir half-and-half and cream into flour mixture and continue stirring for about two minutes until thickened.

Stir cream mixture, a little at a time, into broth/rice/onion mixture.

Add turkey, bacon, and chopped pimiento, and heat through.

NUTZ

I take my turkey stock, add chopped carrots and celery then puree and add the left over mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing,(My stuffing is made with ground up crackers, giblets, onions, celery, salt pepper, Bells Seasoning, butter, and broth from the giblets. It has more of a pate consistency than a bread stuffing would.) I call it Thanksgiving in a bowl. My family loves this soup. This has the creamy consistency that you said your family likes.

Of course you're assuming there are leftovers. :crazy: Turkey soups are always a hit.

I used to simmer the carcass after the vultures had picked it clean. Last year i broke the carcass down and dry roasted it in a hot oven along with big pieces of onion,celery, and carrots. I then used that to simmer with and make the stock. Huge difference. Definitely worth the extra step, and i will never do it any other way again.

Paul

So, wait.....you roast the veg & carcass in the oven first, then use THAT to simmer in water to make the stock? THEN what?

So, wait.....you roast the veg & carcass in the oven first, then use THAT to simmer in water to make the stock? THEN what?
Wampus, Paul is talking about a brown stock.
A white stock is clearer and has more uses but a brown stock has an extra dimension of flavour, because of the browning.
If you have a pressure cooker then use it, this will deepen the flavour of the stock.
So basically, you make a stock, drain it to preserve the liquids, then add what you want in the final soup and cook till those ingredients are tender and cooked.
The HUGE mistake is, to cook a soup for long periods of time.
Our modern vegetables just lose all of their characteristics and flavours if you do that.
So, roast bones and veg and I would add a pack of chicken wings rubbed in OO and salt, and a crushed clove of garlic.One hour later, put all the golden chicken and veg into a pressure cooker(Make sure you pour the fat away, it will do a nasty thing to the soup...and your families innards.), add water, cook for 45 minutes.
Strain carefully.
This is your flavoured stock ready to make soup with.
Add soup ingredients and cook for 15 minutes or so depending on what I put into it.

Last edited:
Wampus, go to the main page of the Brethren Forum, go to the bottom of the page.
See the Google Bar?
I typed in turkey soup and got a huge amount of recipes that are here on the forum.

About 483 results (0.21 seconds)

OK....so what's up with this Turkey Soup everyone's talking about ...
Can we get some turkey soup recipes posted here? Personally, I'm a big fan of creamy soups. So are the kids. We do like a good brothy soup too, but I'm just ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120987

another leftover smoked turkey recipe: tortilla soup
I can't decide what I like the most, smoked turkey or tortilla soup made from the leftovers. Tortilla soup recipes abound on the Internet. ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=110...

another leftover smoked turkey recipe: tortilla soup - The BBQ ...
another leftover smoked turkey recipe: tortilla soup Q-talk.
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7180

Turkey Day "Leftovers" Throwdown... [Archive] - The BBQ BRETHREN ...
My "Smoked Turkey Noodle Soup Recipe" suddenly changed to "Papa Murphy's Pizza". ..my wife has had enough turkey for one week! ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-52778.html

Brethren Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes? [Archive] - The BBQ BRETHREN ...
I used to make soup after every Thanksgiving using the turkey carcass as the stock. Never really used a recipe, just some of this and some ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-114926.html

Brethren Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes? - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.
I used to make soup after every Thanksgiving using the turkey carcass as the stock. Never really used a recipe, just some of this and some ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114926

Chicken tortilla soup recipes?? [Archive] - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.
[Archive] Chicken tortilla soup recipes?? Q-talk. ... 6 cups chicken or turkey broth 1 Tbsp. ground cumin 2 tsp. chili powder 2 bay leaves ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-114910.html

Chicken tortilla soup recipes?? - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Anyone know any good chicken tortilla soup recipes? ... I cooked her chicken tortilla soup and it was good. ... 6 cups chicken or turkey broth ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114910

Spicy Wild Turkey Soup & Corn Bread - The BBQ BRETHREN ...

Spicy Wild Turkey Soup & Corn Bread Q-talk. ... Made a nice pot of spicy wild turkey soup with some corn bread. I ground the breast up then ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74451

Turtle recipes? [Archive] - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.
[Archive] Turtle recipes? Q-talk. ... I like turtle soup but I would never recommend cooking them on live fire. ...
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-83846.html

Wampus, go to the main page of the Brethren Forum, go to the bottom of the page.
See the Google Bar?
I typed in turkey soup and got a huge amount of recipes that are here on the forum.

About 483 results (0.21 seconds)

Oh I know Bull.....but I just figured in case anyone else was thinking the way I was, this would put soup recipes in the same thread.

PLUS....a search does NOTHING for my post count.....:roll::becky:

Oh I know Bull.....but I just figured in case anyone else was thinking the way I was, this would put soup recipes in the same thread.

PLUS....a search does NOTHING for my post count.....:roll::becky:

:shock::doh: Ok then......taking the rest of the evening off here.

Back