Looks Good!

I'm doing a whole chicken right now using the turkey hangar. This may turn out to be a mistake....

That little chicken is hanging WAY down there! Barely off the coals. "Low and Fast"?

I almost pulled it back out to split and hook it, but I figgered what the hey, my "problem" with the last few chickens were rubbery skin. If this works, I'm a frikkin genius!

Happy to do the guinea-pig thing to help out the community :becky:
whole chicken is my next, then comp practicing for ribs

Tasted great i took the minimal approach to sauce seeing it was family light coat loot n booty and heinz south carolina bbq sauce.

I'm kinda a dry-rub-only no-sauce guy. Although I do make a SC-vinegary sauce for pulled pork when I do butts.

It kills me when my kids put ketchup on brats.... AAAAAAAGH....

Okay, I'm REALLY starting to like this stupid little barrel thing.

A few minutes into my cook, there was about a 40-degree difference between the probe I put in the breast and the one in the thigh area.

90 minutes in, and they are both at 158!

(And don't ask me what the grill temp is. I'm embracing the "don't sweat it" philosophy and just going with the flow.....) :thumb:

Just finished killing off a damn tasty bird. :-D

Pulled it off in the mid-160s and stuck in my 'cambro' for a bit. (also known as the worlds scuzziest old cooler -- I make sure there's no meat-to-plastic contact here :mmph: )

I probably shoulda rotated it at some point during the cook (as evidenced by the "Aaron Eckhart Two-Face" photo LOL), but it was all very moist and tasty. And the skin was crisp-IER -- still need to work on that although If I evened out the left and right sides I might be on point...

Attachments

• cambro.JPG
    cambro.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 495
  • chickenNotRotatedEnough.jpg
    chickenNotRotatedEnough.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 196
  • aaron.jpg
    aaron.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 193
  • chickenYummy.JPG
    chickenYummy.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 192
No way. That was one of their selling points the last few years!

That is why i bought one but when i got it I noticed the flag was gone...here is the email.

Good morning Shaun,

It is no longer made in the USA. However, the headquarters and fulfillment center do remain. Have a great week!

Oh that would have cost them a sale if I'd known that when I bought mine...

I'm not trying to be a smart Alec or start a fight, but why is it disappointing that PBC isn't manufactured here in the US?

Is the diamond on your wife's left hand manufactured here in America? Most likely it was dug up in Africa, went through Amsterdam to be graded and cut, sent to deBeers in London, mounted in some jewelry shop in NYC, and then sent to whatever store you bought it in. Did that make any difference to you when you and your Bride-to-be decided on it and you plunked down the money?

Anyone here work for a foreign chartered company? I bet you have the cash put in the bank every payday and I bet your 401(k) sponsored by the company consists of a,lot of company stock.

I buy products that best serve my need at the best possible price. I'm a value shopper. Seems to me that the PBC is a great value no matter where it's manufactured. The money stays here in the US according to the email quoted.

At the end of the day it's about dollars and sense. We all know that Noah got screwed a couple years ago when he tried to manufacture them here in Cali. Maybe he got fed up and just outsourced them.

On the bright side I'm now an owner of the "Made in USA" PBC :becky: With the horseshoe stand. :nod:

I'm not trying to be a smart Alec or start a fight, but why is it disappointing that PBC isn't manufactured here in the US?

Is the diamond on your wife's left hand manufactured here in America? Most likely it was dug up in Africa, went through Amsterdam to be graded and cut, sent to deBeers in London, mounted in some jewelry shop in NYC, and then sent to whatever store you bought it in. Did that make any difference to you when you and your Bride-to-be decided on it and you plunked down the money?

Anyone here work for a foreign chartered company? I bet you have the cash put in the bank every payday and I bet your 401(k) sponsored by the company consists of a,lot of company stock.

I buy products that best serve my need at the best possible price. I'm a value shopper. Seems to me that the PBC is a great value no matter where it's manufactured. The money stays here in the US according to the email quoted.
What do you have against american made items?

And to why its dissapointing was just because it has always been my understanding it was american made. I still said it was a solid cooker, and im not running out to send it back.

Ok folks, yes it's disappointing but let's not get too twisted up about it. Hopefully the new PBC's are of the same quality. That would be my main concern. It's hard to find a cooker these days that is made in the USA. Even some of weber's products are manufactured in other countries. Let's not forget that we are still supporting an American veteran. Honestly that is more important to me than where the cooker is made. I served in the Air Force (retired) though so I may feel different about that support than so of you and thats ok......
PBC is basically a small family owned business. I've spoken to Noah a few times (as have many of you) and I can assure you he didn't make the change without thinking long and hard about it. I'm sure if and when it becomes more feesable and cost effective to make them in the USA again he will!

So I did my 4th cook in 8 days yesterday. Decided to try a Chuck roast as they were on sale at the local Store. It was 2.83 Lbs, I sprinkled with PBC's Beef and Game rub, Hooked into the PBC for 2.5 hrs, pulled at 160 degrees, foiled with a bit of beef broth and then on until it hit 195. Wrapped in a towel and put in a cooler for about 40 minutes while the Potatoes finished. I felt it was a bit salty, which might have been from the broth. Flavor was good and it stayed pretty juicy, but not as much as I had hoped for. Considering it was my first attempt at Beef at anytime in my smoking career I will consider it a success. I did have a dip in the barrel temp (down to 245) about 3 hours in. I cracked the lid and it shot back up to 310 and held for the rest of the cook. As always comments and reviews are welcome.
Darren

Attachments

• BBQ ch6.jpg
    BBQ ch6.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 350
  • BBQ ch5.JPG
    BBQ ch5.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 349
  • BBQ ch3.JPG
    BBQ ch3.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 349
  • BBQ ch1.jpg