View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallytrip View Post
Not sure what it really is,im a butcher at sam's and we have our own specific angus grade beef that is supposedly only selcected from the top 2/3rds of the USDA choice grade beef. I dont know what yours specifically is but i will guarantee its probably just USDA choice. Most beef it there is...prime which makes up less than 1% of the whole us beef heard...choice the most common for the big chains and meat markets and such....select which is a little lesser grade that you probably will find in discount local supermarkes and smaller grocery store chains and little meat markets....utility grade which basically comes from dairy cows that dont produce anymore and isnt really graded or sold for human consumption. The way meat is graded is the cattle is split in half between the 12th and 13th rib and a optical computer takes a image of the marbleing of fat content there between the striploin and ribeye and that determines grade for the whole carcass.
Thanx for the explanation. I think that is what I have and the the certified angus beef superior quality is a marketing term. Will be interesting to see how they compare taste wise. keith