Seasoning the UDS

B

BobF

Ok The drum is mostly built. I sprayed down the inside with PAM. Put a basket of K in the drum and poured about 3/4 chimney of lit on top. Put all in the drum and set the weber top vents nearly all the way open. I currently have only the ball valve open and temp is running around 288.
Is this a good temp to season at? Does it matter?
Nothing cooking yet.

Attachments

• UDS.jpg
    UDS.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 187
Congratulations on your new DrumPit!!!!
That temp is alright for seasoning it up!!
When I set up for a cooking session I lite about 15 Briqs in my chimney.
I try to catch my target Cooking temp on the way up. It's harder to
lower your temp to Prime Smoking temp.:-D

288 seems high on one inlet. Is lid sealing well?
Hey N8 taking a break from the family to visit the Brothers?

288 seems high on one inlet. Is lid sealing well?
Hey N8 taking a break from the family to visit the Brothers?

Next time I looked it had droped to 238. Is that about right?
I had opened all the inlets for a moment when I started. Now I have just the one and the temp seems to have been steady for 45 minutes or so.

This reading is from an Acurite probe sitting on the grid near the middle. I bought it because it was relatively cheap and I thought I had seen some here. Is this a decent digital thermometer?
I need to install a drum temp therm. I have seen several on the forums. Any recomendations?

This reading is from an Acurite probe sitting on the grid near the middle. I bought it because it was relatively cheap and I thought I had seen some here. Is this a decent digital thermometer?
I need to install a drum temp therm. I have seen several on the forums. Any recomendations?
Spicewine. Best bang for the buck. Recalibratable. Tele-Tru if you want to spend more. Run dial gauge at 200 and center grate will be 230ish.
http://www.spicewineironworks.com/M...iw&Product_Code=thermometer&Category_Code=acc

Welcome to the drum corps!! :biggrin:
My drum runs at 238 all day at center.
Like Nate said, only about 12-15 briquettes to start, will come up to temp in about 15 mins.
Let us know how it runs with the intake riser, most have tried and later removed it. :cool:

Let us know how it runs with the intake riser, most have tried and later removed it. :cool:
But Not All......:p
attachment.php

Looks like it went out overnight. When i left it I had removed one cap and closed the valve almost completely. There is still charcoal in the basket.
Any ideas on why it went out?
Intake riser?

Not enough air to induce a complete burn around the fuel. Ash build up is not good.

Put all in the drum and set the weber top vents nearly all the way open.
The exhaust should always be wide open.

I ran mine yesterday from 7:30am to 10:30pm, my temps were @235*-245* nearly all day, but nine hours in I had to shake my charcoal basket to loosen up the ash. Ash Build up will choke out your fire.

Looks like I was wrong, the temp had droped to about 102. I opened another vent on the way to church and when I got back it had gone back up to 180 or so. I think the ash may be the issue. I also think I may want to move the valve back to the bottom. Even though the valve is below the top a foot or so, I am probably reducing the chimney effect some and not allowing the drum to draw as much as it could with the valve at the bottom. Back to the drawing board.
I guess if I don't want to bend over, I will have to extend the valve handle like one of the drums Norco built.

Back