• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Memphis pellet grills headed to China

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am sure the Brethren will have differing opinions on this. For me, I am surprised and disappointed to hear this!! Apparently they announced this to dealers a couple of months ago...
250973b47aa70fae3c7f630537cd7800.jpg

Unless they going to one of the few good manufacturers in China quality control problems will quickly follow.

“...this move should be - and will be - invisible for you”

What that means is: “you won’t gradually notice the quality decline because your current Memphis Grill is built really well...but your next one might not be. While we promise no changes now, when the price increases to cushion our bottom line you’ll keep trying to convince yourself this is just as good as your old Memphis Grill; Good luck with that!”

Companies have a hard time passing on those massive profits from moving operations to China. Another US company falls to the dark side.

Quality will suffer no matter what they say.

This kind of sucks. I'm actually in the process of building an outdoor kitchen with a Memphis Elite as the centerpiece. (waiting on arrival of the second unit because first one was damage badly during shipping)

I would certainly say that Memphis Elite being built in the U.S. was one of the reasons I was willing to pay the premium.

Well, scratch that. I bought a GMG to try out a PG, and I love it. Was thinking a Memphis this spring because everyone raves about them and they’re made here, we’ll, use to be...

When is the American consumer going to get fed up with this chit?

This kind of sucks. I'm actually in the process of building an outdoor kitchen with a Memphis Elite as the centerpiece. (waiting on arrival of the second unit because first one was damage badly during shipping)

I would certainly say that Memphis Elite being built in the U.S. was one of the reasons I was willing to pay the premium.

Completely understood! I don’t even own a Memphis and I am bummed [emoji3525]

I am going to be surprised if a good number of current dealers don’t drop the Memphis lineup from their offerings...

I really can't think of any steel product that was made in the U.S., and was worth buying, that off shored production to China and returned to the U.S. with the same standards or quality.

Our company has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years dealing with Chinese manufacturers for our low line products. What an expensive, time consuming headache, and still ongoing.

Hmm...I guess glad I got my Elite last year then?! I have to say, once they are made in China, no way I’d pay their prices. I’d be looking elsewhere for sure.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really can't think of any steel product that was made in the U.S., and was worth buying, that off shored production to China and returned to the U.S. with the same standards or quality.

Our company has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years dealing with Chinese manufacturers for our low line products. What an expensive, time consuming headache, and still ongoing.

Same here. Once you factor in all the broken promises, upset customers and extra expenses for rush jobs I don't think China is as cheap as some assume.

Regardless, Memphis is now on my black list.

If and when I drop good coin on a PG it will be american. Im not saying I only buy american but if its a large one time purchase, I stay american.

I've used Memphis Grills at the American Royal, and hung out for multiple days with their employees. While I don't automatically put Chinese made products in a lower class, I am surprised by this move. That company in particular seemed very proud of their space in the American made niche product landscape. I would imagine they are either trying to really expand their lineup and/or market share, or they are in financial trouble.

Twin Eagles has their Delta Heat grill line. Initially they made it in the US. they then had it made in China. There were so many quality issues, that they moved back to the US, where it is made today. It was cheaper to make it in California, when they considered all the costs.

I've used Memphis Grills at the American Royal, and hung out for multiple days with their employees. While I don't automatically put Chinese made products in a lower class, I am surprised by this move. That company in particular seemed very proud of their space in the American made niche product landscape. I would imagine they are either trying to really expand their lineup and/or market share, or they are in financial trouble.

I wonder how much it has to do with there being more pellet grills on the market now (especially cheap foreign made ones), making it a more competitive landscape than it once was.

I wonder how much it has to do with there being more pellet grills on the market now (especially cheap foreign made ones), making it a more competitive landscape than it once was.

That was my thought as well. When you boil it all down, they all do pretty much the same thing, and the food tastes about the same too. There are so many sub-500 dollar options now that are "good enough" for most people, I'm sure it's eating into their bottom line one way or another.

Back