Need low temp, <130,on WSM 22

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am trying to perfect my Beef Jerky game. Brethren IAm Mad Man gave good advice recently. He suggests cold smoking for 1-2 hours then increase temp to 115-125 to continue drying.
I cook on WSM 22 only. Due to restraints of living in an apartment community, I cannot use any electric devices. Smoker must be 10 feet from buildings. Running extension cord is prohibited. I can maintain 150-160 by using snake method but need to go lower temp. I have the smoke tube pellet burner which gets me about 90-95 temp. I use charcoal briquettes generally.
Any tips would be welcomed.

In Texas in July, doesn't it hit 130 inside the WSM just sitting in the sun? :-D. Sorry, couldn't resist.... I'm sure someone more helpful will be along shortly! Good luck!

Actually, what if you light the tube at both ends?

I've inserted trays of ice to get temps down, but I learned to do such smoking in the winter when the cooler weather helps.

If you want a project, you could head to your local home depot and get some dryer duct and run that from your air-conditioned house to your WSM. I see you've got a dog and assume you've got a doggie door you can run that through. :becky:

Texas

As a matter of fact I did get a reading of 120 yesterday. Unfortunately to dry jerky requires over 10 hours. We get a bone chilling 80-90 degree cold spell after mmidnight.

maybe you could "cold smoke" for a bit with a pellet tube to get some smoke flavor on it and then transfer to a dehydrator for the remainder of the process?

A couple of plastic milke jugs filled with water than frozen. Put in water pan and put pellet tube on charcoal grate.

I appreciate the help, I use the pellet tube which gets me <100 degrees, and plenty of smoke but hoe do We get just a bit over the 100 degree mark.

I don't have a WSM but I know they have an access door. How about just using the pellet tube and throwing a lit briquette or 2 every hour or so just like you'd add splits to a stick burner. Will give of a little heat but ain't gonna run off on you? Sounds like it would be a PITA but might work?

That's a pretty good idea. a torch to start them would be handy too. Chimney would be too big.

The only way your going to keep temps that low in a WSM is the snake method, and use no more then 3 -4 briquettes in the row. The more briquettes burning the higher the temps are going to be.

snake

I have the torch, just need to learn to use minimum fuel. The snake tends to die out from lack of oxygen at less than about 150-160

I have the torch, just need to learn to use minimum fuel. The snake tends to die out from lack of oxygen at less than about 150-160

Might want to consider a PartyQ or bbq guru, should help keep the charcoal going, and maintain a steady temp.

I own a pitmaster 120. I can not use electrical toys because of apartment living. Don't want people tripping on my extension cords.

Your focused on using the smoker.. How about a couple hours or so with the tube and finishing in your oven, assuming you can set the oven low enough, I can on mine, and usually just do them in the oven

Not sure I would not hit CL and find an electric smoker. I don't know that running a wsm at super low temp with tight temp range for any period of time is even possible.

Not sure I would not hit CL and find an electric smoker. I don't know that running a wsm at super low temp with tight temp range for any period of time is even possible.

He said he can't use electric grills/smokers where he lives. I find that odd because back when i rented, we were not allowed to use charcoal or gas grills.

That said, i don't know why he just doesnt smoke on the WSM for an hour or two, and finish inside in his oven or a Dehydrator.

PartyQ

Thanks for info, not familiar with Party Q product

In Texas in July, doesn't it hit 130 inside the WSM just sitting in the sun? :-D. Sorry, couldn't resist.... I'm sure someone more helpful will be along shortly! Good luck!

Actually, what if you light the tube at both ends?

It was 110 outside yesterday. The WSM was north of 130

Back