What makes the best slather?

EyeBurnEverything

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Candice
I have been a long time lurker and have read everything from yellow mustard, oil, Molasses, Ketchup, even A1, and Mayo. I am sure i am missing a lot. I am curious which of these slathers (binder) affects flavor and color the least, and also the most.

Thank you for reading, and thank you even more for responding.

I've only used mustard and Worsty Sauce as a slather in the past. And neither left any trace of flavor or related color.

I don't use any slather now. I will rub my protein about 1 hour before going on the cooker and allow it to form a paste as it reacts with the meat, then reapply a light coating of rub before going on the cooker.

I find thicker slathers like mustard and mayo to be very prone to shed rub because of the texture. So I reserve it for ribs where I can do the bone side first and then apply rub on the top when I have it on the smoker. The resulting bark is usually more clumpy, like the skin on KFC original recipe.

Thinner slathers like worchestershire and oil I use for brisket or any meat that requires more handling.

But overall, some may not detect the added flavors, but it will depend on your rub and if it overpowers it.

I find thicker slathers like mustard and mayo to be very prone to shed rub because of the texture. So I reserve it for ribs where I can do the bone side first and then apply rub on the top when I have it on the smoker. The resulting bark is usually more clumpy, like the skin on KFC original recipe.

Thinner slathers like worchestershire and oil I use for brisket or any meat that requires more handling.

But overall, some may not detect the added flavors, but it will depend on your rub and if it overpowers it.

Another good point. What slather works best to adhere the rub onto the meat without falling off? I would have thunk a thicker slather like yellow mustard would work better then oil.

Another good point. What slather works best to adhere the rub onto the meat without falling off? I would have thunk a thicker slather like yellow mustard would work better then oil.

Mustard certainly works better with the rub since it can collect more on the surface. But you'll also end up with more of it on your gloves than on your meat during the handling process. I can write things with the thicker slathers.... yet oil/worchestshire doesn't stick to the gloves as much. It seems impartial to which side it goes on.

Mustard certainly works better with the rub since it can collect more on the surface. But you'll also end up with more of it on your gloves than on your meat during the handling process. I can write things with the thicker slathers.... yet oil/worchestshire doesn't stick to the gloves as much. It seems impartial to which side it goes on.

What is your opinion on which slather helps the rub set (bark) to the point that you can not even rub it off (pun intended)?

I have never ever had a bad cook using either EVOO (my standard) or mayo.

I have used Mayo on turkey's for thanksgiving. It worked really well for browning and crisping up the skin. I have never tried it as a slather for rub on other meats.

How about a yellow mustard/mayo mixture as a slather? Best of both worlds?

What (meat) are you slathering?

I've used this and that, but it all "depends." :mmph:

I've only used mustard and Worsty Sauce as a slather in the past. And neither left any trace of flavor or related color.

I don't use any slather now. I will rub my protein about 1 hour before going on the cooker and allow it to form a paste as it reacts with the meat, then reapply a light coating of rub before going on the cooker.

What the guys said^^^^

I use

Pork: Mustard

Chicken: Mayo

Beef and lamb: Worcestershire

Fish or just an all around slather for me is high burning point oils like grape seed, sunflower, safflower, avocado etc.

I used to do this, and it worked great for flavor and the rub really setting. But i spoke to a few local pitmasters that made some really good Q, and they told me they start off completely naked and cold, and after the meat reaches ambient temp they slather and rub. They never got into detail on the slather, nor the rub, but their Q looked, smelled, and tasted Amazing.

I used to do this, and it worked great for flavor and the rub really setting. But i spoke to a few local pitmasters that made some really good Q, and they told me they start off completely naked and cold, and after the meat reaches ambient temp they slather and rub. They never got into detail on the slather, nor the rub, but their Q looked, smelled, and tasted Amazing.

I'll tell you one thing, no one is going to give you their secrets. It's all in the hints and the rest is up to you to ponder and figure out. :thumb: At the end of the day it's you putting two and two together. Gotta say though, us brethren are pretty generous in giving out details.

EVOO is the default
Mayo when I feel like a change

I just think of it as a binder, so whatever works and leaves nothing weird behind

Gotta say though, us brethren are pretty generous in giving out details.

That's an understatement. I don't think I'd have lasted a week with my smoker, if it wasn't for the people on here. So many good ideas, and details, and inspirations.

I haven't done a lot of slathers, but one that I think I saw cowgirl mention, was bacon grease. I've used that on pork shoulder a time or two-and they turned out great.

Mustard thinned with pickle juice.
I was waiting to see Franklin's! Whatever you use don't over do it. Doesn't take much. I'm with sako on using ones with a higher temp. I've been using grape seed oil for the last few years on everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back