BBQ For Our Veterans

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Mods, feel free to move this thread if needed.

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted anything on the Brethren but I've never let up on my pursuit of great BBQ and I've grown so much in that regard in the years since joining y'all here. What I'm looking for is some input and wisdom regarding an endeavor I feel called to pursue.

I want to help the local Veterans in my area. I live about 20 minutes from the Lebanon PA VA Hospital. My plan in a nutshell is to host a massive BBQ Bash, on site (if possible), that would serve amazing BBQ to all staff and patients at the VA. I would also love to open it to the public and then serve the public by donation, and any Veteran, Reservist, Active Duty, Retired member of the Armed Forces for free. All proceeds would then be funneled back into the local VA for patient care. I'm also in Law Enforcement and am hoping to have the event served by a combination of Police Officers, EMT's, Fire Fighters, and other Veterans.

I have contacts within the VA that I'm hoping can open the doors to do this, as that is the first hurdle. This idea is about 12 hours old and so the networking on this is just beginning. I KNOW that I don't have the means to pull off the BBQ side of the event on my own. I would need multiple teams to commit and jump in to help. I have a few local ones already in mind but have not yet taken the step to contact them. I'm posting this to see what organizational help anyone here can provide. DM me if you have experience organizing anything like this. I know there are quite a few BBQ For The Troops type organizations and events out there already. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel. Right now, looking for advice and input.

Finally, I'm tired of reading/hearing the news and getting outraged, but doing less than nothing about it. I'm tired of being outraged, but staying on my lazy arse, offering no solution in return. I don't want to be that guy anymore. Thanks for listening...Let's Roll.

Glenn

Good on ya for stepping up! There is definitely a tradition of BBQ folks doing cooks like this for the troops - a lot of folks from this site and I think around your area in particular are pretty active in this regard. You should have no trouble finding folks in your area who'd love to jump in.

If you want to look stuff up you could probably do a search for "troops" or "military" or similar words to see some of those type cooks.

Great stuff!

You might talk with the Operation BBQ Relief folks if you can get hold of one. They've jumped all those hurdles of bringing together multiple cooking teams, getting legit to cater to the public at an event, etc.

Right on, I just started doing that research this morning. I started last night with a sort of personal mission statement I wrote out, sent a few emails, and now at it again today. Thanks for your input, Brother.

You might talk with the Operation BBQ Relief folks if you can get hold of one. They've jumped all those hurdles of bringing together multiple cooking teams, getting legit to cater to the public at an event, etc.

I worked with a few of them in Brick, NJ after hurricane Sandy and have networked with a couple since. Good people, those OBR'ers!!!!

The VA can be a tough nut to crack because of all their rules and regs. We were turned down by them

I have a group of Bretheren that is doing this for other vets organizations, here is one thread on it.

VFW's American Legions, etc seem more receptive

maybe give you some other ideas if the VA doesnt work out

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186669

PM me if you want some other tips to get started, it takes some patience and digging, keep at it

The VA can be a tough nut to crack because of all their rules and regs. We were turned down by them

I have a group of Bretheren that is doing this for other vets organizations, here is one thread on it.

VFW's American Legions, etc seem more receptive

maybe give you some other ideas if the VA doesnt work out

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186669

PM me if you want some other tips to get started, it takes some patience and digging, keep at it

Thank you so much for your input. I'm hoping that a personal connection to someone on staff (I won't say more here) may help me out. But that has been one of my biggest fears, that the bureaucracy inherent in the institution may limit what we can do. Praying for a positive outcome though...Thanks again for your help my Brother.

Thank you so much for your input. I'm hoping that a personal connection to someone on staff (I won't say more here) may help me out. But that has been one of my biggest fears, that the bureaucracy inherent in the institution may limit what we can do. Praying for a positive outcome though...Thanks again for your help my Brother.

I had a personal contact too. He was pretty high up but that did not help in my case.

If they turn you down dont give up, there are many veterans organizations out there that would welcome your help.

I worked with a few of them in Brick, NJ after hurricane Sandy and have networked with a couple since. Good people, those OBR'ers!!!!

I helped out OBR in brick after Sandy as well. I think we just missed each other. In any event, I'd love to help out if I can. I'm not a certified caterer and don't have a large capacity cooker but if you can use a couple UDS's and WSM's, or just use some manpower, I'm in. Just let me know what I can do.

I helped out OBR in brick after Sandy as well. I think we just missed each other. In any event, I'd love to help out if I can. I'm not a certified caterer and don't have a large capacity cooker but if you can use a couple UDS's and WSM's, or just use some manpower, I'm in. Just let me know what I can do.

Thank you kindly! I was there with my wife, kids, brother, and father-in-law for a few hours. We delivered a half trailer load of supplies and helped serve lunch before heading home.

I'm also not a caterer (what do I think I'm doing, right?) but sometimes we just have to "ante up and kick in." So down the road I go...we'll be in touch, Brother.

Glenn

Back