• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
every single store in the area, even including local slughter houses and butcher shops, will not be carrying FRESH turkeys until the second week in november. i do not want to be eating turkeys in consecutive weeks so i will be doing the first run the morning of thanksgiving. ive decided to NOT stuff the bird and start the pbc at 0400 with dinner at 11 :grin:

I managed to get in for the ash catcher, hinged grate, some hooks and the turkey hanger without hitting the purchase button on a new PBC. Maybe next order!

I'm still pretty new to bbq and I don't have pictures to show this time but I just wanted to say that I cooked chicken (plow boys yard bird rub) and a smallish beef chuck roast (salt and pepper) on my pit barrel this afternoon. The chicken was great as usual but I was blown away by the chuck roast. It was almost like a pork butt in texture but the taste was amazing. I'll get pics next time

I'm still pretty new to bbq and I don't have pictures to show this time but I just wanted to say that I cooked chicken (plow boys yard bird rub) and a smallish beef chuck roast (salt and pepper) on my pit barrel this afternoon. The chicken was great as usual but I was blown away by the chuck roast. It was almost like a pork butt in texture but the taste was amazing. I'll get pics next time

Welcome! Yes the PBC does an amazing job. I like it for just about every kind of meat but I like the flavor of beef cooked in it probably the best. I cooked my first ever brisket in my PBC and it was way better than I expected. Tri-tip on the pbc is better than on my kettle. Of course chicken and pork is great too. Oh and pecan pie turned out better than in an oven! :thumb:

Doing a spatchcock chicken and some ABT's. Using my standard half basket with firebrick because it's a short cook. I did a spatchcock because I couldn't cook the ABT's at the same time if I didnt. Yep, I'll be ordering that hinged grate soon!

Attachments

• 20151101_160347.jpg
    20151101_160347.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 269
Doing a spatchcock chicken and some ABT's. Using my standard half basket with firebrick because it's a short cook. I did a spatchcock because I couldn't cook the ABT's at the same time if I didnt. Yep, I'll be ordering that hinged grate soon!

You'll find spatchcocking like that will give you an entirely different product ...very very good especially if you flip skin side down around 120* IT and finish it that way.

Hinged grate or no hinged grate you'll be doing more spatch in the future especially if you do the flip.

Hooked up and smoking large jalapeños. A few to make Jalapeno Popper Dip, a few for chili, etc

Last edited:
You'll find spatchcocking like that will give you an entirely different product ...very very good especially if you flip skin side down around 120* IT and finish it that way.

Hinged grate or no hinged grate you'll be doing more spatch in the future especially if you do the flip.

I've made several spatchcock chickens in the kettle. I like it both ways actually!

Here's the finished product. Made some potatoes too. I also made some of the artichoke in the PBC it's actually still going. Made some Brussels and bacon too but on the stove.....:biggrin1:
Here's the only pics though.

Attachments

• 20151101_175053.jpg
    20151101_175053.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 20151101_175102.jpg
    20151101_175102.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 261
I used mine for the first time today. Worked very nice for using it right out of the box. Very unique flavor. The only thing I didn't like was the Pit Barrel rub that came with it. I packed it on the ribs and the salt content was ridiculous.
The smoke ring it produces is of very high quality.

Attachments

• D7K_6867.jpg
    D7K_6867.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 256
I used mine for the first time today. Worked very nice for using it right out of the box. Very unique flavor. The only thing I didn't like was the Pit Barrel rub that came with it. I packed it on the ribs and the salt content was ridiculous.

Nice! :thumb::thumb:

The chicken was great! Very juicy and flavorful.

I used your flip it over to get the skin crispy, Keith. It would have worked pretty good had I left it flipped long enough. That was my fault though. Regardless, it was very good.

Looks great Welcome to the PBC club. Thanks for posting your pics!

I've made several spatchcock chickens in the kettle. I like it both ways actually!

Here's the finished product. Made some potatoes too. I also made some of the artichoke in the PBC it's actually still going. Made some Brussels and bacon too but on the stove.....:biggrin1:
Here's the only pics though.
Everything looks great. Feel good to give the PBC a workout again? I haven't used mine in a couple of weeks but will be doing chicken Friday for sure.

Back