• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The FDA said it does not have a definition for "natural."

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The FDA said it does not have a definition for "natural."

Log Cabin contains only 4% Maple Syrup and is labeled as "All Natural". A Log Cabin representative is defending the labeling as proper. The new product, which is being sold in jug containers similar to those used by Vermont maple producers, contains Brown Rice Syrup, Water, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid. No artificial flavors or colors.

"In general, labels must be truthful and not misleading, but would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis," said FDA spokeswoman.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vt-log-cabin-syrup-not-the-real-deal/

I had never had real maple syrup until a few years ago. I'm too indoctrinated into the other stuff, I didn't like it. Sad really.

I was 30 before i realized i never had real syrup before.

Oh and the FDA are a bunch of twits anyhow

I had never had real maple syrup until a few years ago. I'm too indoctrinated into the other stuff, I didn't like it. Sad really.

The price difference is the real wake-up call.

I saw a taste test on one of the cooking shows.88% of the tasters picked pancake/waffle syrup as being authentic maple syrup over REAL maple syrup.:confused::crazy: thirdeye,you are spot on about the price point.

If I buy maple syrup, I buy the lower grades, it actually has a stronger taste, than the expensive stuff. I would take good sorghum over any of it, and it is all natural.

Not allowed to use natural to describe things in the EU, it is meaningless. Can't use Superfoods and other nonsense like that, either.

The FDA is a joke, unfortunately, they mainly serve only the interests of the industry, often at the expense of the consumer.

Not allowed to use natural to describe things in the EU, it is meaningless. Can't use Superfoods and other nonsense like that, either.

The FDA is a joke, unfortunately, they mainly serve only the interests of the industry, often at the expense of the consumer.

I spent sometime in Germany and Austria this summer and I was amazed at the food purity laws concerning the food in Europe. No artificial flavor, no artificial colors, and no GMO's. Even MacDonald's puts red beef patties on the griddle, not the grey or brown frozen pucks we have here.

I really liked the small bakeries and butcher shops everywhere we went. Yes they had big box stores like we have here, but the bakery and meat departments had very little to offer because everyone wanted fresh local items (which is a good thing).

The Gummi Bears are made with fruit juice for color and flavor, they were so good, they were almost addictive.

Buy a loaf of wonder white bread here and almost a month later it's still soft. Ever wonder why....

It's really sad to think about what the American Consumer has settled for? All because something is a penny or two cheaper, corporations saving a penny on billions of products save millions at our loss.

If I buy maple syrup, I buy the lower grades, it actually has a stronger taste, than the expensive stuff. I would take good sorghum over any of it, and it is all natural.

Yes, real Maple Syrup is expensive; the first spring run the sap is at about 2.0% sugar content. It takes roughly 39/40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup (light color/light crisp flavor). As the season progresses and the sap is lower in sugar content, it could take 57 - 61 gallons of sap for us to make 1 gallon of syrup (darker color/stronger flavor). The amount of heat/evaporation time will directly reflect the color of the syrup. Thus the longer the boil, the darker the color, and the stronger the taste.

Currently, many producers have employed the use of osmosis filters to help separate some of the water content, thus reducing evaporation times.

If you always had a certain product, you become familiar with it, and you desire that product. Change in out habits and tastes are difficult for us to make or accept. That's why we always remember how mom's food was the best.

In January 23rd 2015, the USDA issued new rules for grading of maple syrup.

There is no more Grade A / Grade B differentiation, everything is grade A with the exception of the processor's grade. There is no more Light Amber, Medium Amber, or Dark Amber; they have taken the purer 5 grades of syrup and have now allowed processors to mix two of the old grades to create the newer grade of syrup. This similarly applies to Canada's 1/2/3 grading system.

Economically it's a good move for some processors because they can mix a lesser quality grade into the and achieve a product that brings a higher price. Taste-wise it is not the same, I no longer buy 100 pure maple syrup from the suppliers. Instead I buy directly from the producer who is quality oriented and will sell me the Grade A Light Amber, even though it has labeled as Golden Color.

Just like Medic92 stated, he had a product he became familiar with; many who have only used light amber syrup can easily tell the difference and will seek out the product they want, even if it has to be labeled different by new laws. Many small producers are happy to sell you the product you desire.

New Grading Reference:
https://www.maplesource.com/pure-maple-syrup-grades-explained/

Honey falls into this same kind of scheme where even if it says "100% pure honey" it's not honey. Most honey you find in the grocery stores is high fructose corn syrup flavored to taste like honey.

Well, i guess log cabin isnt actually lying. All of the added ingredients are also "All Natural" :sad:

Honey falls into this same kind of scheme where even if it says "100% pure honey" it's not honey. Most honey you find in the grocery stores is high fructose corn syrup flavored to taste like honey.

Yep, that famous Chicken Place from Kentucky can't even legally call their Honey, Honey, because it isn't.
IMG_00471_zpstjtsjgg3.jpg

Thankfully this is that blessing of having family in New England, I can get real honey a bit cheaper (call the relatives, they buy it, I send them money, they ship it, still cheaper than buying it at Missouri store prices)

Not allowed to use natural to describe things in the EU, it is meaningless. Can't use Superfoods and other nonsense like that, either. The FDA is a joke, unfortunately, they mainly serve only the interests of the industry, often at the expense of the consumer.

True, we have been indoctrinated with cheap products by corporate greed, but the American consumer has to also share some blame as well. If we didn't buy it, they wouldn't try to sell it.

I saw a taste test on one of the cooking shows.88% of the tasters picked pancake/waffle syrup as being authentic maple syrup over REAL maple syrup.:confused::crazy:

Kinda like how people like sweet baby rays over actual good bbq sauce?

There are certain foods like pancake syrup, ketchup, and bbq sauce that industrial food manufacturing companies have refined with precision. They become so similar and so popular over generations that they are hardwired into our subconsciousness mind as the definition of that product.

Even though these products are far from the real original food products, we welcome then simply because that is what we have become accustomed to. They seem like comforting tastes to us, not because they are the best product possible, but because they are consistent and familiar to us starting from our youth.

Subsequently we are manipulated by the commercial food industry by what they want to sell us, and not what we really want to buy.

As indicated above; some prefer the artificially flavored maple syrup, sweet bbq sauce made with corn syrup, artificial honey, not necessarily because they are better, but because it is something we grew up with, and have now come to expect the taste of this product. We have been indoctrinated to expect the "sticky-sweet" products through the controlled availability of products on the grocery store shelves.

All true.
We are a country of food robots. Marketing tells us what to eat, and (similar) foods from our childhood bring us some level of comfort.

As a seasoning manufacture, we have very few limits on what we can say in our marketing.
We can’t promise some miraculous cures and we can’t lie about our ingredients (all though we can omit things we deem “secret” and lump stuff in the spices umbrella) or lie about weights and measures.
Other than that, it is fair game.

One of our own personal grievances is the “spices” umbrella so many mfgs. use.
This is due to my wife’s allergies.

100% of our products, list 100% of the ingredients for that reason

Back