chilies for... chili

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a recipe for chili that calls for roasted New Mexico green chilies. Not gonna find them this time of the year in New England. I can find them chopped frozen online for like $14/lb - ouch. So, if I have Anaheim and Poblanos here (prolly Californian?) are they close enough?

I have a recipe for chili that calls for roasted New Mexico green chilies. Not gonna find them this time of the year in New England. I can find them chopped frozen online for like $14/lb - ouch. So, if I have Anaheim and Poblanos here (prolly Californian?) are they close enough?
I would think so.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Anaheims would be very close, so you should be good to go with those.

Yes, roast and use both. Consider roasting a jalapeno and a serrano for a little heat and depth of flavor.

Anaheim's will do it. Buy them, roast them, peal them, use them. They are the closest thing you're going to get. "Hatch" is really all about marketing where they are grown. As 16Adams said, Colorado grows some good chile too. Also Northern NM, near Chimayo and the valley between Española and Taos. In those places, a wide variety of peppers are grown. Your Anaheim peppers are probably raised in a greenhouse somewhere, but they will do.

Back