The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

You ARE looking at that thread - it's THIS one! The last couple of pages. I'm searing on my gasser and am not interested. But then, I wasn't interested in a pooper either until these guys got hold of me!

Heres a question for all the pellet guru's out there. Is there a finite time that your able to maintain temps on these grills and if so approx how many hours would that be?

Reason for asking is im new to this style of grill and have found during longer cooks (>8hrs) my temps tend to drop and the controller doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the situation. For example if I set the temp to 250 after a period of time the temp drops to around 180 and the controller remains in maintenance mode rather than ramping the temp back up. The only way for me to raise temps back up is to crank up the setpoint.

Could this be due to restricted airflow as ash begins to fill the firebox restricting airflow as id imagine there would be a point where ash would be severely affecting the amount of air available to the fire thereby dropping temps.

For reference im running a YS1500 and using BBQ's Delight Hickory pellets.

ash should be cleared by the combustion fan regardless of time and when the temp drops , the controller should ramp it back up .

i'd be contacting yoder for a solution .

^^^Agree^^^. Something is not right. Have done many many 12-18 hour cooks on my pellet cooker with zero issue.

So more experimenting with the flame zone. I knew I said I was going to use the grill grates but just 3 of them looked funny. I’m glad I didn’t use them!

So the ones on the bottom were cooked direct with 1 minute per side cast iron treatment. The ones on top went direct the entire time. The ones on top looked best imo

These were cooked at 450 deg. Flair up got my forearm hair by the way!

Last edited:
Heres a question for all the pellet guru's out there. Is there a finite time that your able to maintain temps on these grills and if so approx how many hours would that be?

Reason for asking is im new to this style of grill and have found during longer cooks (>8hrs) my temps tend to drop and the controller doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the situation. For example if I set the temp to 250 after a period of time the temp drops to around 180 and the controller remains in maintenance mode rather than ramping the temp back up. The only way for me to raise temps back up is to crank up the setpoint.

Could this be due to restricted airflow as ash begins to fill the firebox restricting airflow as id imagine there would be a point where ash would be severely affecting the amount of air available to the fire thereby dropping temps.

Sounds like something thinks the temp is 250. If it was seeing the correct temp it would increase airflow like it does when you raise the temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sounds like something thinks the temp is 250. If it was seeing the correct temp it would increase airflow like it does when you raise the temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s my thought. Sounds like a controller issue. Yoder would know best though.

you guys talking about using grill grates covering the entire grill
surface are going to regret it .

that can and will permently damage your grill . pellet grills/smokers rely on air circulation .

So more experimenting with the flame zone. I knew I said I was going to use the grill grates but just 3 of them looked funny. I’m glad I didn’t use them!

So the ones on the bottom were cooked direct with 1 minute per side cast iron treatment. The ones on top went direct the entire time. The ones on top looked best imo

Kind of hard to tell by the pics, was the cast-iron just way too hot for those burger patties?

Kind of hard to tell by the pics, was the cast-iron just way too hot for those burger patties?

No. I started the ones on the bottom direct and at the end gave them cast iron treatment. The ones on top I just left on the grates and they finished shortly after the cast iron ones finished. I didn’t do cast iron start to finish.

I have done many 20+ hour cooks on my YS640, and never experienced anything like that. I would agree that contacting Yoder, is the best way to go. I haven't needed it, but I hear they have great customer service.

I’m gonn a try a grilled garlic sriracha chicken stir fry tomorrow with the flame zone. Honestly I was pretty impressed by the burgers today and actually liked the ones that had no cast iron pan treatment at all best. So far it seems to do perfect on everything but steaks when just using the stainless grates. It does just fine with steaks though if I use the grill grates. The stainless ones are just easier to clean

All this speak about flame zone and grill grates got me thinking. I hardly ever grill on ours but I thought i would try the grill grates for some burgers. Grill temp at 480 grill grate didn't get above 375 not that I expected it to work but why not try. It also got me thinking that it would not be difficult to make a frame zone. Drill wholes or cut a square or circle in the difuser and cover it with a sheet metal or a pan when not grilling. Opinions?

All this speak about flame zone and grill grates got me thinking. I hardly ever grill on ours but I thought i would try the grill grates for some burgers. Grill temp at 480 grill grate didn't get above 375 not that I expected it to work but why not try. It also got me thinking that it would not be difficult to make a frame zone. Drill wholes or cut a square or circle in the difuser and cover it with a sheet metal or a pan when not grilling. Opinions?

Probably the best way to do it would be to get the smoke daddy searing station. I wouldn’t mess with your nice timberline’s diffuser.

That is basically how the Yoders work, when you have the 2 piece diffuser plate. I personally would be afraid to alter anything on a pellet grill, that would affect air flow. They are designed for a specific amount of air flow, and changing it too much, could result in a hopper fire. It certainly could be done though.

Probably the best way to do it would be to get the smoke daddy searing station. I wouldn’t mess with your nice timberline’s diffuser.

I never heard of that one, so I looked it up. Looks like it is supposed to hang on something inside? I don't think there is a lip to hang it on in my grill.

That is basically how the Yoders work, when you have the 2 piece diffuser plate. I personally would be afraid to alter anything on a pellet grill, that would affect air flow. They are designed for a specific amount of air flow, and changing it too much, could result in a hopper fire. It certainly could be done though.

Thats what I'm thinking Josh, yoder, memphis, pit boss all kinda the same idea. Good point on the airflow. Just thinking out loud.

Thats what I'm thinking Josh, yoder, memphis, pit boss all kinda the same idea. Good point on the airflow. Just thinking out loud.

Which is why more and more pellet grills are moving to that design which is great. It allows pellet grills to actually grill now! Lol. It’s simple and it works. The Mak design kinda went in a different direction. Not better or worse but just different.

On my traeger I just pull the diffuser and drip pan and use grill grates right over the fire pot. Recently I’ve been leaving the diffuser in and only pulling the drip pan just to reduce the mess a little bit but both ways work fine.

I have the grill grates searing station so I run the GG’s on top of stock grates since they don’t span the whole grill surface.

I know when I make burgers with the flame zone, the grill gets trashed.

Back