• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

High Plains Berbere & Peri-Peri - w/Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ever since CINCHOUSE discovered Ethiopian Chicken, we've tried Berbere spice on our bird.

Wikipedia says "Berbere is a spice mixture whose constituent elements usually include chili peppers, garlic, ginger, basil, korarima, rue, ajwain or radhuni, nigella, and fenugreek. It is a key ingredient in the cuisines of Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Berbere sometimes encompasses herbs and spices that are less well known internationally"

Here's a quick recipe for some Berbere Spice/Rub:

- Set a small, dry skillet over med-high heat.
- Add the following to it:
2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
2-3 cardamom pods
4 dried chiles de arbol, stemmed & seeded (Apparently, we had this... but I didn't know... so I substituted 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper)
- Toast the spices, moving the skillet constantly over the heat until you can smell the spices and not letting them burn... 3-4-5 minutes.

- Let those hot spices cool... then pour them into a clean spice grinder, and grind until fine.

- Put all that in a bowl, and add:
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp dried basil leaf
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

- Give it a good stir. Store in an air-tight container.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

I had no idea, but Berbere continued to change and evolve... until it became Peri-Peri / Piri-Piri.... and Nando's Restaurant started serving Peri-Peri Chicken to the masses.

Tonight, we whipped up a batch of both!

Here's the Berbere Legs, our Munchkin's SPOG Leg, and our Wicken Yanks + Nando's Peri-Peri Wings.

CqDCWLdh.jpg

This Vortex continues to impress... even a couple of years on.

0nw78oMh.jpg

Wings with Wicken Yanks Wings Rub:

KHeG8f2h.jpg

Berbere Legs:

jMepaoWh.jpg

Time to sauce the wings with Nando's Peri-Peri Sauce!

EoXW3G2h.jpg

LkAoPxEh.jpg

Here's the finished plate... Berbere & Peri-Peri across the ages (and in my belly)!

wUObzfQh.jpg

Thin blue and fair weather to you all.

Our brethren & sistern in The Carolinas are in our thoughts and prayers tonight.

Looks great. Berbere and Nando are new to me... I’d like to try it sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the Berbere recipe — I’ll definitely try that.

Love Nando’s, we ate there regularly when we lived in England and the Portuguese/African spice blend is fantastic!

Cheers!

We're former residents of East Cambs, too. First tried Nando's up in King's Lynn and loved it. Thank goodness we can still get their sauce over here in the US.

Looks great. Berbere and Nando are new to me... I’d like to try it sometime.

Kevin,

Even if you can't find a Nando's (Website Link), you can at least get their sauce online (heck, I even found it in a Harris Teeter in Suffolk, VA last month)!

I'm hooked on good hummus with some of their peri-peri sauce drizzled over top, served with warm bread. If you like a little kick, it's devine (and the sharp sauce nicely contrasts the savoury hummus).

FYI...I did some looking and World Market carrys the Nandos hot variety( my two local stores show in stock).

Amazon has several varietys avail in 4-packs as well.

Fantastic! This is getting bookmarked for later reference fo sho. Wings & drums make a great playground, & these look delicious - those closeups - yeah man! :hungry:

Kevin,

Even if you can't find a Nando's (Website Link), you can at least get their sauce online (heck, I even found it in a Harris Teeter in Suffolk, VA last month)!

I'm hooked on good hummus with some of their peri-peri sauce drizzled over top, served with warm bread. If you like a little kick, it's devine (and the sharp sauce nicely contrasts the savoury hummus).

Order placed. Thanks for sharing... I always enjoy something new...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi.

I've been lurking on this site for a while, trying to take in some of the knowledge. I end up smoking something once or twice a week.

I have to say that Berbere is my favorite addition to a rub. I use it on chicken and pork butts and anything that needs a kick. It is hard to say how much to use because I have bought it from different Ethiopian markets and the mix is different. Regardless, it make for a complex and spicy mix that simple chili and paprika don't match. Mix it to taste and enjoy.

Got 2 butts on now with Berbere with garlic powder, salt, mustard, brown sugar. It is always successful.

Can't agree more with the plug for a great blend.

K.

Back