View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
jordan011
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
You can put the smoker and porch on the front of a trailer so you don't have negative tongue weight. Does the op need a NSF smoke or can he get by with a cheap hog style smoker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotfehc View Post
First thing in deciding equipment and setup is determining menu and how you want your flow. I went with a fully enclosed trailer but 3 large screened in awning windows on the back around the smoker, and 1 concession window. Customer orders at the window and I can usually have it dished up by the time they are done paying and have their drink if ordered, otherwise I would like to have 2 windows if I was doing larger events with 300+ covers for faster service.
I have a cto-dw and really like it. It's big enough to do a lot of meat but efficient enough to do smaller cooks too. It has a gas assist, but I use it only for starting the fire.
I would go everything possible propane rather than electric. Generators can be loud or expensive, and its a pain to refuel them in the middle of service. I've heard of more than a few food trucks and trailers exploding this year, because they were refueling while generator was running. I think I have pics posted of the interior of my trailer on my Facebook page, pig approved bbq, feel free to take a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Putting the porch on the front side of the trailer is a damned good idea, but I don't see a lot of trailers built that way. For my next trailer (ie my dream trailer) that will definitely be something I'll look into.

As for a NSF smoker that's really a local health department question but definitely something OP needs to know before buying. As far as I understand most health inspectors don't seem to care as long as the smoker is covered (ie on the porch and screened in), as well as generally quite clean in appearance. But I'm sure some health departments are going to be much more restrictive, so certainly need to make sure before buying a piece of equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
As SmoothBoar said, griddles and fryers are something you may want to avoid. We have a griddle in our trailer and except for the very rare breakfast catering job (we've done two in 1 1/2 years) we don't use our griddle. Fryers are dirty, hot and a royal pain in the rear to deal with.
If upper cabinets are available in the trailer and the cost isn't too high, get them. We installed metal wire shelving in our trailer but securing everything with bungee cords and all that crap can be tiresome.
Like everyone else has said, figure out your menu to determine what you're going to need as far as equipment.
And don't let them talk you into a smaller refrigerator.
Cabinets, that can be done. Good call, I planned to do something similar to what you did originally.
Okay so cut out the fryer and grittle. I may just add a grill on the porch later.
Yes refrigeration is key. At my event in October (its an annual event) I was going through an average of 12 cases of turkey legs and 10 cases of sausage daily. That's in addition to the hundreds of pork and beef sandwiches I was serving.
This is also why I need a big pit & warmer!
When I am not doing events, I would like to be set up to sell more options by the LB.
jordan011 is offline   Reply With Quote