• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE brisket question

Smoke5280

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cooking a brisket on my BGE tomorrow and I’m wondering what the BGE experts do. Water in the drip pan yes or no? Wrap yes or no? Thanks

I’m no expert but I always do a water pan on top of my plate setter. I also wrap whenever I like my color, usually after 6 hours or so.

I cook them fat down the entire time. The only time I add any water to the drip pan is if the drippings dry out and the residue begins to burn. Then I'll add some HOT water. Good insurance to prevent this is to add a spacer between the drip pan and the plate setter. I use a couple of pieces of inverted angle iron ^ or you can use the green feet. If your brisket will hang over the plate setter, just make some foil wings and keep an eye on those edges. As far as wrapping, I let the brisket tell me if it's necessary. But when I do it's usually when the brisket is around 165 and has some nice color.

2l1RJ.jpg

Pl83DZw.jpg

GPCiXmC.jpg

No water pan needed with the BGE. It will only hurt your bark. Yes to wrapping your brisket in butcher paper

Its a ceramic grill Should not need water I have never used water

I cook fat side down and wrap in foil at 165 Its done when tender- tooth pick does in like butter

I've only cooked one brisket on my BGE but I would like to share my experience. It was a prime, 15 pound brisket trimmed down to 11 pounds. I trimmed the length a bit so it would lay flat on my 18" grate. I used a place setter but no drip pan. My grate temperature was around 255° which is as low as I can get my BGE without shutting the lower vent completely. I laid it fat cap down to shield it a bit from the heat source and I put the point in the upper right (opposite side of the lower vent). I never touched it again and it was finished in about 10 hours. Much of the bottom was way overcooked. Because of shrinkage, the brisket was over the place setter for most of the cook. I probably won't use the BGE for this job in the future because I have an offset but if I did, I would use a water pan. I would also wrap it in butcher paper at the stall to prevent the bottom from burning if it looked like it needed it. The lump charcoal burns so cleanly in a BGE, you probably won't feel like you need to wrap at all if you only look at the beautiful color on the top of the brisket. It was the bottom that was my problem.

I've only cooked one brisket on my BGE but I would like to share my experience. It was a prime, 15 pound brisket trimmed down to 11 pounds. I trimmed the length a bit so it would lay flat on my 18" grate. I used a place setter but no drip pan. My grate temperature was around 255° which is as low as I can get my BGE without shutting the lower vent completely. I laid it fat cap down to shield it a bit from the heat source and I put the point in the upper right (opposite side of the lower vent). I never touched it again and it was finished in about 10 hours. Much of the bottom was way overcooked. Because of shrinkage, the brisket was over the place setter for most of the cook. I probably won't use the BGE for this job in the future because I have an offset but if I did, I would use a water pan. I would also wrap it in butcher paper at the stall to prevent the bottom from burning if it looked like it needed it. The lump charcoal burns so cleanly in a BGE, you probably won't feel like you need to wrap at all if you only look at the beautiful color on the top of the brisket. It was the bottom that was my problem.

I had the very same problem with my first brisket on the BGE. I thought I nailed it until I cut into it. The bottom was torched like tough leather. I used a drip pan with water in it but I set that directly on the plate setter with no barrier between. My theory is the water boiled and steamed the crap out of the bottom of the brisket. I also made the mistake of putting the brisket on fat cap up losing my heat barrier. I had better results with adding the barrier between the plate setter and drip pan but I’ve never tried it without water hence the question.

I much prefer my brisket on my LSG VOS it it’s going to be about 10 degrees tomorrow morning. That takes a little bit of the fun out of tending a fire at least for me.

You can go with or without water in the drip pan. If you do put water in the drip pan, try not to let it dry out as you could see your pit temp rise when it dries out. I’ve cooked with and without water and have been happy with both. Lately I’ve been going without water and as thirdeye pointed out, an air gap between the platesetter and drip pan is good.

I elevate my grate, go fat pad down and use a water pan. Not because the egg needs moisture, mainly as a heat buffer--a pan of sand would probably work too.

I wait until a good bark or color is achieved (later part of the stall) and butcher paper wrap until prob tender (usually about 203). Temp approx 275.

edit: also use foil balls between placesetter and water/drip pan.

Thanks for all the great reply’s! I’m going with a drip pan with a buffer and no water. Going to shoot for a 250 cook temp. I’ll play it by ear with wrapping. I’ve always wrapped with butcher paper except for my very first brisket attempt. Egg is already loaded........using hickory chunks for my smoke profile.

Thanks for all the great reply’s! I’m going with a drip pan with a buffer and no water. Going to shoot for a 250 cook temp. I’ll play it by ear with wrapping. I’ve always wrapped with butcher paper except for my very first brisket attempt. Egg is already loaded........using hickory chunks for my smoke profile.

Just a quick note since I see you are in Ft. Collins...at my house water boils at 203°, and while butcher paper will work, foil seems to work in less time, I'm guessing because of the better seal.

Back