Crazy for Cast Iron

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been missing a lot of TD's lately, and I hate it. The stars aligned, and I got some time to play, so I thought I would make the best of it, and try to pull of a two-fer.

Fired up the Camp Chef Explorer, and started by cooking some bacon on the CI Griddle.
picture.php

picture.php

Then threw on some onions, and shrooms
picture.php

Made a bechamel sauce in the 10" lodge, and added the onions and shrooms.
picture.php

Layered up a Truffle Gorgonzola Potato Au Gratin. Started with a layer of the bechamel sauce, added potatoes, drizzle of white truffle oil, crumbled bacon, gruyere cheese, and gorgonzola. Repeated until my 6" CI skillet was full, and threw on the Yoder at 400. Put some fresh green beans on the griddle, and put them in to.
picture.php

picture.php

The best part about summer in Oklahoma, is tomato season. So I sauteed some red onions and garlic in my 10" Lodge chefs skillet. Then added some garden cherry tomatoes. Cooked until the tomatoes popped, then added the green beans. Finished with some balsamic vinegar.
picture.php

Potatoes are done.
picture.php

Been Koji aging a steak for the last couple of days. If you are interested, here is more details on it. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262181
Normally I would sear my steak directly over the vortex, but since today is about cast iron I broke out the lodge square grill pan. Picked it up about a year ago, and as you can see it really has gotten some use.
picture.php

picture.php

Plated everything on a 10" lodge griddle pan. With the last minute addition of some grilled bread. I drizzled with olive oil, and on to the grill pan, then drizzled with some more white truffle oil.
picture.php

Someone commented the other day, that he didn't want to cook something, because, it would look like he was copying me. As some of you might notice, I have no problem of "borrowing" a good idea. So I just want to thank everyone, that I may have "borrowed" from, and say thank you for the inspiration, you have all made me a better cook!

Hope you all enjoyed looking, as much as I did cooking, and of course eating. Now for the cleanup.:icon_sad

Last edited:
That looks delicious... but that gratin.... man, that's a whole other level!

That looks delicious... but that gratin.... man, that's a whole other level!

Thanks man, the taters were the star of the plate, day, week, month. You get the point. Glad you like them, I knew I wanted to do a CI tater dish, but couldn't figure out what direction to go. Thanks to Sako, I am hooked on truffle oil and potatoes, then I seen your blue cheese hasselback, and inspiration struck.

Looks delicious, Josh!! :thumb:
My tomatoes are still green but the summer squash is taking off. :-D

Looks delicious, Josh!! :thumb:
My tomatoes are still green but the summer squash is taking off. :-D

Thanks. Cherry tomatoes are coming on good, big tomatoes are just getting started. Looking forward to my first BLT of the year.

Back