Sako, great breakdown on the new PBC JR. I think a new thread could be started for this new model. Great job!
This one is enough. What other brand of UDS has it's own thread? The info is better presented in one place, especially since comparisons between the two are inevitable.

Relax boys, it was a mere suggestion by Moose and I didn't just bust out with a new thread. :smile:

Tri tip's a thawin for tonight. :nod:

Looks great Sako! Can’t wait to see your first cook!
Speaking of “saving charcoal”, 1 accessory that I think would be pretty cool would be official PBC magnets to shut ‘er down. Yeah, you can just go to Ace and get the cheap magnets and use foil like most of us, but I think something a bit more substantial and cut to the right size with the logo would be hella cool.. and probably make Noah some money right now (think “stocking stuffer for PBC fanatics”).

You never know. Noah's constantly adding to the PB accessory line. :thumb:

On the PBC I let the remainder of the charcoal just burn out unless I was using lump. I've found reusing lump is perfectly fine but not briquettes. Given how compact the fire basket on the PBJ is, the fuel requirement should be minimal.

The inaugural cook as promised;

Pasture One grass fed, grass finished tri tip via Creekstone Farms

SaVtuIkh.jpg

Weber briqs. Fancy but I like the resealable bag :-D

KW6Pniuh.jpg

3.5lbs of it in the PBJ basket

sbzguDfh.jpg

Pulled about a half PBC chimney from the basket to start the fire

0UJxSlKh.jpg

A cherry chunk

oPE6AI0h.jpg

Naturiffic supply from the TD win arrived just in time

eSLHuPMh.jpg

Used the Naturiffic Q-Salt to season the TT with

ic2HG34h.jpg

And we're smoking :razz:

NptmCz2h.jpg

Not for too long though

KURP4czh.jpg

Pics don't do it justice. Not kidding you guys

cl7Eo8ah.jpg

filwpJlh.jpg

JtjaPbyh.jpg

mWHf4rCh.jpg

Some with chimichurri

xJlUd6kh.jpg

PFYZEXsh.jpg

This is where I started playing with my food. Tri Tip hors d'oeuvres :grin:

sHuzJzah.jpg

Oh and you gotta love this time of year. Some Goose Island Bourbon County goodness and tonight's pick was Northwoods Stout for dessert

BEDY0Tkh.jpg

PBJ delivered as I thought it would even though I got a little rusty with PB cooking and needed a hotter fire to begin with. That's the downside of having different cookers and each requiring a different technique. I absolutely love this thing. :thumb:

To be continued with ribs and chicken tomorrow. :twisted:

Nice cook, Sako! You said you didn’t light enough charcoal which I suspected might happen. I use a full Weber quick-fire chimney in both my PBC and UDS and let run for 5 minutes after dumping the lit over the unlit with vents open wide/ rebar out which works for me but maybe the PBJ is a slightly different animal? Or are Noah’s directions the same?

Nice cook, Sako! You said you didn’t light enough charcoal which I suspected might happen. I use a full Weber quick-fire chimney in both my PBC and UDS and let run for 5 minutes after dumping the lit over the unlit with vents open wide/ rebar out which works for me but maybe the PBJ is a slightly different animal? Or are Noah’s directions the same?

Thanks DD!

My technique has been pretty much the same as yours in using the PBC. I guess using the Hunsaker for the past 3 mos I backtracked and ran the PB like a Hunsaker even though I cooked on PBC's for years. Not a big deal today but contrary to people thinking a drum is a drum is not the case. UDS and PBC are "operated" differently with the PBC starting off hotter then eventually settling at a temp and humming along. UDS on the other hand is slowly brought up to desired temp and then set to hum along. Just got rusty in a short amount of time, that's all. :-D

Thanks fellas!

Ribs and chicken tonight with a little experimentation :-D

Kurobuta rack pre-season

WdnviNzh.jpg

Kurobuta spares with a homemade rub and two Naturiffic chicks. One of the chicks brined with Naturiffic Harvest dry brine and seasoned with Naturiffic Q-Salt and the other just seasoned with Q-Salt. Doing a brine vs non brine comparison.

81f4SV5h.jpg

Back