• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Temp going Backass-ward

PBOB

Reaction score
Riddle me this...

Put a brisket on my WMS 12 hours ago. Wrapped it in butcher’s paper right after it stalled (was steady at 165 for over a hour). Internal temp got to 184 or so, I unwrapped it to reset the bark. Temp has receded back down to 169. Is my brisket uncorking itself, or did I simply unwrap it too soon?

Looks great by the way!

You're temps are too low. Raise them up. You're probably cooked sub 225

Underwent evaporative cooling when unwrapped it. Basically, you were almost through the stall when you unwrapped prematurely. So, it went back into the stall.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Underwent evaporative cooling when unwrapped it. Basically, you were almost through the stall when you unwrapped prematurely. So, it went back into the stall.

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Oh my bad. Missed the wrapped part.

I've never unwrapped and put back on the cooker. Now i know why.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use BP a lot but I’ve never felt like I needed to unwrap and put back on the pit to set the bark. Usually let that happen before wrapping. Good lesson here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use BP a lot but I’ve never felt like I needed to unwrap and put back on the pit to set the bark. Usually let that happen before wrapping. Good lesson here.

I don’t know where I heard of doing that, but you can bet your pork butt, I will never do that again. Hope someone else can learn from my mistake.

Nothing wrong with unwrapping and putting it back in the smoker to set/firm up the bark. You just did it too early in my opinion.

I don’t know where I heard of doing that, but you can bet your pork butt, I will never do that again. Hope someone else can learn from my mistake.

Back