Pork Picnic roast... Skin on

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have ever since I started cooking bbq loved the pork picnic roast. It is my favorite cheap cut of pork. I always skin the pork and cook skin seperate or toss it. I was thinking they cook whole hog with skin on so why not a picnic roast?
So today I am going to leave it skin on. Skipping the injection. Pan cooking because I have room. I think I will rub using the Slabs Perk Up Your Pork. Its a good rub.
Hopefully it turns out good. Once pulled I think I will use the pulled pork for nachos!

2qmix7a.jpg

Rubbed and ready to go. Skin side down in the pan.
Apple wood and Cherry wood for smoke. Just getting the 270 Smokers Sumo to temp. I think I will get an apple pie ready to bake for dinner.

I'm in for some of that. For the pie you just gotta get some ice cream to go with it. Good luck with the cook. I did a 8 lb pork butt last week and I have to say it was some of the best I have ever tasted. I will have to try one with the skin on next time. Thanks for posting and we want to some pics of the finished cook.

7rIKA.jpg

I like the slightly different muscles in the picnic too, some of the meat is darker and has a different texture than some muscles in the butt end. When doing whole shoulders I leave the skin on the picnic end. Partially for protection from the heat since the meat tapers on the shank end, but also protection from drying out because I inject as much as I can get into the picnic. So if you are used to removing the skin, you might be pleasantly surprised at this roast.

Back