BBq Liberation and Bob and the "Mexicoid" Brisket

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Many know I am a teacher. There is a lot of **** I can't do but teachin' is not one of them. My kids got a deal, perform well (overall 20% increase in scores) on their 2cnd Curriculum Based test and they get Mr. T's (Popdaddy's Smoked Brisket or Pork Street Tacos.

They did and I did. I brought just my MBU military burners, griddle, a roaster with two briskets and a butt and my tent. 150 of them stood out in the rain as ate as I cooked.

It was a great R and D experiment. For one, 60 percent of our studnent body is hispanic ---- me.... well everyone knows I am a strong black woman. I had been doing seared meats but I needed to keep it cheap and I have no idea why I never thought of brisket which was $2 a pound. I picked up some red hots for the teachers and a pork butt at $1 a pound.
15589882_10211777649985616_1353136913927544286_n.jpg15585316_10211777650025617_5030772165762804725_o.jpg

Each kid got two little 4 inch tacos (hard to find) and a **** load of brisket. I mean I think I loaded some as much as some people make a sandwich out of. The lady who helped me serve was an art teacher I grew up with - we went to school together. She initially said I put on too much but then observed the rolling eyes.... people here are not used to 4 inch tacos... but the big piles of meat she eventually said made it something to talk about.
IMG_62371.jpgschool taco.jpgclose taco.jpg
Recently my salsa process has been made MUCH easier with a veggie basket on my grill.... deans guacamole dip has been my go to squirt bottle dip and a squirt of sriracha and mayo in the sour cream has gone over well. I plan to use Guac and roll from now on for my guac.

So what was so liberating was the complete disregard and half- assed way I did my meats. Here is what made me think of Bob Brisket all the way through.

I jammed to, big assed 14 lb briskets, a bent wire rack to elevate the pork butt and packed it so much I needed to adjust to keep the air flow. They touched, overlapped, I folded over the thin blade I JUST DID NOT GIVE A ****! Three hours... and then I did it...... i cut the briskets in half and then again in half and dumped into a turkey roaster. The **** was rare inside! Pork butt went in oven after three hours too.

I was concerned the center would not cook the meat was so packed n the turkey roaster... i even grimaced when I could hear it sear against the sides. The lid went on the temp went seriously up to 280 and I went to bed at 10.

At 2 I got up to a house that smelled so much like Kreuz I wished I had cooked it out on the patio. BUT THEN I SAW IT!!!!!!

BOB I SAW AND HEARD IT!!!!!

I walked into the kitchen and heard that gurgle that lard only can make.

I checked the meat and noticed it was done.... turned the meat... added a coke, some of my salsa and some citrus.

Smoked meat cooked in lard all night................ mercy!

So Bob, I have a question. What do you think is in this consomme in the taco picture. I can't seem to find out what it is. consomme.jpg

The lard on site is also GREAT for cooking the torts on.

Very very nice...... My mom was a 30 year teacher. I have a lot of respect for those that can teach. Nice job....

someone told me...... the red stuff... consume is a beefy or porky broth made from the drippings minus the fat of course.... it gets the color from the spices.... can u imagine that flavor - that is what i heard - strained broth

I love the reward based system. :thumb: only thing I can teach is basketball. My daughter is s first grade teacher. I now have a lot of respect for those that decide to become teachers. Lots of hard work and you guys put a lot of your time and dollars into helping the kids. I even put some of my own money when the kids need it. Nice job!

You did good and I'm sure the students really appreciated it.

I love the reward based system. :thumb: only thing I can teach is basketball. My daughter is s first grade teacher. I now have a lot of respect for those that decide to become teachers. Lots of hard work and you guys put a lot of your time and dollars into helping the kids. I even put some of my own money when the kids need it. Nice job!

yeah about $120 maybe more with drinks.

but... the sauce in the picture. someone find Bob Brisket please

Good on Ya, Donnie! I know those kids enjoyed it and appreciated it. Always gotta have a reward system in place.
We have district based Benchmark test coming up in January. You have given me an idea.......A big Taco Fest for those passing that dreaded state test at the end of the year!

Those tacos look perfect to me!

Do you have the vid link?

Bob

Good on Ya, Donnie! I know those kids enjoyed it and appreciated it. Always gotta have a reward system in place.
We have district based Benchmark test coming up in January. You have given me an idea.......A big Taco Fest for those passing that dreaded state test at the end of the year!

Those tacos look perfect to me!

Do you have the vid link?

Bob

the question is about the consomme seen in it. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Gb1JkasmQ"]MEXICO STREET FOOD - TACOS AL PASTOR - YouTube[/ame]

of course its pork in the video

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Donnie,

Here is the question........when you go to eat and tear up a taco, do you want a hot, wet, moist taco, or a hot dry one? :grin:

That consommé can be just about anything. BUT, most likely has been made with the drippings or broth from something. Could have some red chile concentrate or some of their house salsa. It is packed with flavor and is many things. Adds some wet and moisture to the meat and torts. Tacos are great, but if you are using a dry cut like that pastor and then the thicker handmade torts, there is a lot of bulk there. The quac, salsa, and consommé help em make for a juicier eating experience!

That consommé is also served as appetizer type soup. I've made it a few times and use the meat drippings or broth, mostly broth, but using both is best. Straining is fine. I'll add some red chile concentrate and then go from there. But my red chile concentrate will have lots of the flavor in it already. It's a nice sauce to add some squirt to the taco!!! :)

Bob

Donnie,

Here is the question........when you go to eat and tear up a taco, do you want a hot, wet, moist taco, or a hot dry one? :grin:

That consommé can be just about anything. BUT, most likely has been made with the drippings or broth from something. Could have some red chile concentrate or some of their house salsa. It is packed with flavor and is many things. Adds some wet and moisture to the meat and torts. Tacos are great, but if you are using a dry cut like that pastor and then the thicker handmade torts, there is a lot of bulk there. The quac, salsa, and consommé help em make for a juicier eating experience!

That consommé is also served as appetizer type soup. I've made it a few times and use the meat drippings or broth, mostly broth, but using both is best. Straining is fine. I'll add some red chile concentrate and then go from there. But my red chile concentrate will have lots of the flavor in it already. It's a nice sauce to add some squirt to the taco!!! :)

Bob

Very Erotic Post Bob.

Tell me of this red chili concentrate. Like Paste?

Miss you and Militant. Here is proof48afe25ff188dfd7108f48f4e708f474.jpg

Bob I will tell you what my plan is to make it. It is about the color of what is under my roasts once they are cooked in the lard. The liquid under that... I throw in either arbol or pasilla chilies with the meat in the roaster along with my salsa. i also throw in some cans of marzona tomatoes and onions and cilantro, etc. but i have been throwing that all away in the end. lol.

granted, the meat sits in it before i pull and shred.

so i will strain, defat, add broth, red chili concentrate and serve hot. the key is that sheen and it is so void of little bits so it penetrates all the shredded meat

taco stand and other crap served

Attachments

• Thomas.jpg
    Thomas.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 520
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 520
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 527
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 523
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 525
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 525
Yes....

Donnie,

That is exactly how the consommé can be made. You can hit the mixture with a boat motor and then strain or not. Many don't even skim the fat off. They just keep mixing the consommé so the fat is always incorporated in it.
Now, some places also shred the meat and then put in back into the liquid. This is more along the lines of how carne desebrada(shredded) is made. Think, Mexican version of pulled pork/beef. This method keeps the meat moist and juicy at all times. This is one way to do it too.
The beauty of it is that you can make it any way you want. Thick, thin, spicy, etc. Whatever you do, don't toss that liquid out ANYMORE! That is the good stuff! Some can even be a thinned out, watered down red salsa.
One last hint......the tortilla. You will need a tort that can stand up to that added moisture OR serve on 2 torts. Most places just give you 2 torts per taco to compensate for that if they tend to serve meats that are on the wetter side.

Gotta say, all this talk about wet tacos is a great way to start off the week! LOL!

Bob

that was absolutely awesome of you to do for your kids. my mom was a teacher so i understand how challenging it can be.

i'd go back to school and ace my tests to stand in line for a plate of that!

bob.... totally agree on the double torts... its getting that way. i will be shuffle them from the pack, steaming with the hot links or hot dog/brats bread then... on the griddle.

the inside one i have been using to actually grab the meat these days... just use the actual tort to grab from the pile of meat. lol

Back