Empanada Recipe??

I just buy the frozen skins from the local Mexican market, they have both the frying and baking types frozen.

For the filling, I prefer this:
1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
1 large red bell pepper, chopped fine
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons chili powder (I use Gebhardts chili powder)

I saute the onion, peppers and 1T of the chili powder until softened, then remove from pan, and add the ground beef and remaining chili powder and brown. A fair amount of oil might be needed. Then add in the sauteed vegetables and heat. Take off heat and add in raisins. A splash of sherry goes a long ways too.

I allow to cool, then fold into the skins.

I just buy the frozen skins from the local Mexican market, they have both the frying and baking types frozen..
I was wondering that... I have seen them cooked both ways. Thanks!

Lots of folks will say that you can use the egg roll wrappers at the grocery store for making empanadas, but, the real wrapper is different than those, it is softer, thicker and puffs differently.

Many moons ago, we fished with a Venezuelan fellow who always brought empanadas. They were awesome to say the least. We ask him how to make them. His reply was, " use pre cooked corn meal". We bought some. No dice! Andre did not make them, and that was all he knew, pre cooked corn meal. Well, we had to ask his mother, and she showed us the secret. She took P.A.M precooked corn meal, made a dough(can not remember recipe, but it's on the bag). The deal was to roll it between two layers of Saran wrap, then pull the top wrap off, put down the filling, use the bottom layer of Saran wrap to fold the emanada closed, seal by mashing the edges and fry. Unbelievably delish.

Back