• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tying a pork butt?

WhitesideJC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've searched past threads, but haven't found anything on the topic.

My buddy and I are currently having a debate around whether or not to tie a pork butt. I've never seen this done before (including tons of posts on here with pictures of pork butts), but his theory is that it keeps the meat more "streamlined" so that the outside doesn't cook much faster than the middle, or it makes a "meat block that cooks evenly."

I'm all ears, but my initial instinct says there's no need to tie - unless the piece of meat is not holding together and it needs to be tightened up a bit.

Whaddya think Brethren?

The Butts I pick up from Costco are boneless. After seeing this brought up, it's probably not a bad idea. I may try it the next time.

Tie only boneless, IMO. Bone-in is butchered along natural seams in the carcass and doesn't need to be tied in MOST cases. Boneless may need to be tied, if the cut has pieces that are "laying off" or jutting out. Some do, some don't. smaller parts of the cut can overcook in the case of the former. I would also say that after listening to several well known pitmasters, the aerodynamics of the meat can play a factor in OFFSET cookers based on the way the cook draws the air along the surface of the meat.

Either way? Boston Butts are forgiving as heck.

I actually crown my bone in butts for more surface area and more bark.

I agree - don't bother tying up bone-in, but definitely do the boneless ones. At least the way they're sold at Costco - some are trimmed so vigorously they'll fall apart if you don't tie them. I prefer to use the tubular mesh that a lot of butchers use. It's available from the usual sausage-making suppliers.

Back