Any Thoughts on Lavatool Thermowand vs Thermopop?

vnmg331

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Needing a new thermometer........can't afford the revered thermopen. What about these two, they are in the same price point Thermowand or Thermopop?

I have a thermoworks therm similar in speed to the pop and also have the thermowand and i'll take the thermowand all day and twice on Tuesdays. It's very fast, accurate, folds like the thermopen, lifetime warranty and the fridge magnet is very nice to have.

I love my thermapop..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA"]Thermapen & ThermoPop vs Lavatools Thermowand - YouTube[/ame]

^^^^^ I'll grab either my thermapen or thermopop, depends which one is handier. But I hate waiting that extra second for the thermopop. :p

Thermopop. I have had mine over a year and it still works great. Not as fast as my Thermapen but still pretty quick.

I have both a thermapop and thermowand. I think the pop is a little faster. Both work just fine.

ThermoPop would be the best option. Its faster, the display rotates, is backlit, and has a longer probe. With a Longer probe length your hand will stay farther away from the grill and you can work with the bigger thicker meats. In my opinion I really don't see the other device as a competitor to the Pop. I think Shagdogs posts really helps find the difference in the speed.*

One other point that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the service that ThermoWorks provide. They do it right by providing great service to backup their awesome products.*

Consider probe length before you settle on a winner. Thermowand does not have a probe long enough to handle larger pieces of meat (only 2.5 inches). The short, foldaway probe that everyone likes would not be able to get to the center of a roast, or turkey. If it can't do that, it's worthless. Take a look at a comparison between the Thermapen and the Thermowand and keep in mind that the ThermoPop has the same size probe as the Thermapen.

short_probe_vs_long_probe3.jpg

The video above is the reason I bought a Thermopop when they had that sale I posted up here a while back ($19). No way am I spending $96 on a Thermapen (they are currently on sale for $79 - St Pat Day green), when the Thermopop works only a little slower.

Ok, I bought 2 thermopops..........one for a gift and one for myself.

I have both but use the thermopop a lot more. As mentioned above the length of the probe is too short on the thermowand. My thermopop also reads faster than the thermowand. I like the idea of having a foldable thermometer like the Thermapen but thermowand just doesn't perform as well as the thermopop.

I have a Thermopop and I use it multiple times a week. I've played with the Thermowand but the magnet wouldn't grip very well to most of the surfaces I tried. A clever idea but it just kept sliding down. Also, I worry about the probe length on the Thermowand and I just can't imagine how that body is waterproof (anyone else get that feeling?).

I have a thermopop and use it all the time. I do want a thermapen though!

I have two Thermowands, they work great. Fast and accurate.
I've never cooked anything that a second or two made any difference.

Grey thermowand just came in from amazon today along with another bottle of dizzy dust. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Would like to pick up a thermapen at some point though.

Back