THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I am going to make some Beef Short Rib Plate tomorrow and bought the stuff to make Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus. I will be smoking at about 275*. Should I smoke the asparagus, or would it be better to grill it? About how long does it take? Just until the prosciutto crisps up? I am thinking of drizzling some garlic infused olive oil on top, a little S&P, cooking, and then maybe some Parmesan at the end. That sound like a plan?

No probs, I can start up the gasser this afternoon. Direct or indirect? How do I know when they are done? I don't cook a lot of these green things...

Asparagus has that smooth stiffer thick skin, it doesn't absorb smoke at all. You'd end up with a thin film of smoke residue.

You'll want to cook them on a med to med-low heat direct. They will be done when they are bright green and less rigid (not limp). Keep a couple extra stalks free from prosciutto so you can take a bite while they are cooking so you can get a better feel for them

Looking forward to your results. I use evoo-KS and bacon- which is not what your asking- therefore curious how yours turns out

This sounds great. I've grilled asparagus plain with spevo always turned out good. pretty forgiving. Done shrimp wrapped in Prosciutto which was great also. I am just wondering if the Prosciutto will crisp up too soon before the asparagus is done... waiting to see ...

Couple possibilities.....

Wrap cheese inside with the asparagus & grill at just a slightly lower heat so it doesn't all melt out....

Here's cooks by some buddies from WKC.....just don't have the hang of who's done this here....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/maiden-voyage-for-the-mothership/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/m...ith-troy-and-jason-beach/msg149055/#msg149055

Also,
Shave the butt ends of the 'gus with a potato peeler so the tough skin just isn't there to cause problems.......the wife's always done this when pan braizing in water, olive oil, spices & various jellies (jalepeno, basil, etc.)

Personally, I go easy on, or without olive oil on grilling stuff......flare ups are my nemesis......

2w312zr.jpg

That ham is paper thin. Wish I would have used 3 or 4 asparagus to one piece of ham.

Thanks. The bundle I picked is mostly small stalks. I planned on three or four to a bundle. I've too too much, so any questionable stalks will probably get wasted.

I would grill the asparagus.

Here is a suggestion for you.
A Balsamic Vinegar reduction drizzled over the asparagus is also great.

If you put a small pile of grated parmesan on a silicone baking sheet and melt it
down to a disk then let it dry, you will end up with a Parmesan crisp that is delicious
and looks great on the plate.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy.

Proscuitto can go south on the grill rapidly being paper thin and high fat. You could wrap for a bit and then grill. Ive gone direct with the asparagus, let cool to room temp and added a soft herb cheese then wrapped in prosuitto and served like BBQ Mafia, with a balsamic reduction. You could also hit this to the grill for a quick sear, if the cheese is so that it won't all ooze out. If you have access to imported di parma proscuitto, it makes a world of difference. Its about $18#, but you need so little who cares!

Back