I need me some help.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
At least thats what my wife keeps saying. Ok for the last couple week I have been obsessing about making a bbq sauce that will be more of a savory sauce instead of a sweet, or vinegary type sauce. I don't want to use catsup, or make it a tomato base sauce nor vinegar base, although I may have to incorporate some of those in small amounts, but would rather not.

Here is what I am thinking, sweet potatoes pureed as the base for some sweetness, onions, celery, with various spices and herbs, such as turmeric. cinnamon, yellow mustard powder, maybe some anchovies, beef base, and whatever else that may work.

I have some baked sweet potatoes cooling now and will cut them up, and puree them in a blender later. I will need some liquid, coffee perhaps, I don't know. That is why I have come to you, for your input. So put on your thinking caps, no matter what it may sound like I think it is doable.

Here is a purple sweet potato soup that could be a good base to start with of course there would be some alteration, plus I have never came across purple sweet potatoes.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_bPmILpZb4"]Purple Sweet Potato Soup - YouTube[/ame]
Dave

I think you are on the right track with anchovies. But using wooster sauce or wooster powder may give you the savory background you want without having to deal with getting the anchovies to where you need them.

Also, don't forget to gives beans like black or chickpeas a chance if you're looking for a savory thick sauce.

Think you might be charting some new territory there, Dave. You're off to a great start with the purple sweet potatoes. I like the idea of the coffee as a liquid. Should add some great flavor. Do you have access to a prepared chile paste with garlic? I go through that stuff very fast here, and manage to find a reason to slip it into just about everything. Very interested to see your final product.

Think you might be charting some new territory there, Dave. You're off to a great start with the purple sweet potatoes. I like the idea of the coffee as a liquid. Should add some great flavor. Do you have access to a prepared chile paste with garlic? I go through that stuff very fast here, and manage to find a reason to slip it into just about everything. Very interested to see your final product.

It is going to be a challenge to think outside the bbq box I have built around me for most of my life. I will take a look around for the chill paste you mentioned. I will have to keep the heat level very low, I am the only one in my familiarly that can withstand any amount of heat.

No purple potatoes around that I have come across, but I did pick up several sweet potatoes so I can experiment, besides we eat them on a regular bases.
Dave

How about pureed mushrooms or umami? Just a thought.

Fish sauce? Sorry I didn't put it all in one post. It's just coming out as I think about it. :wacko:

How about pureed mushrooms or umami? Just a thought.

This came to my mind too. You could grind dried mushrooms for some umami flavor. Also, what about gouchugang? It's a fermented bean and chili paste used in Korean cooking. Very unique flavor profile with some serious savory aspects. Also, fish sauce (I know you said anchovies..) and dark soy would be worth a look.

Awesome thread! I love the idea of the sauce you're trying to create

I would start with a demi-glace and go from there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Gourmet-Demi-glace-16-Ounce/dp/B0010OQQ2Q/ref=pd_sim_gro_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=17G33MGP126PBCQB42T7"]Amazon.com : More Than Gourmet Demi-glace Gold French Demi-glace, 16-Ounce Unit : Glazing Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xvQJFUHgL.@@AMEPARAM@@51xvQJFUHgL[/ame]

Salsa Lizano!!! This isn't a BBQ sauce per say but it is savory and I have enjoyed it on all things BBQ for a long time as well as ice cream. I think it might just fit your pistol Sub the sweet taters for the Carrots.

Lizano-Style Costa Rican Salsa

sauce-bottle.jpg

makes about 2 cups

1-2 dried chiles, such as guajillo
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 small yellow onion
1 4-inch piece thick carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon unflavored vinegar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fine salt
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons all-natural powdered vegetable broth base, optional
Remove the stems of the chiles and then slice the chiles in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and fibrous connective material attaching the seeds to the chiles. Pre-heat a 6-8-inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Lay the chile pieces in the pan and toast, turning after about 2 minutes. Add the water and lower the heat to bring the water to a simmer. Simmer for about five minutes. Remove the chile pieces from the pan and place in blender. Measure out 1 cup of the chile-infused water and add this to the blender with the chiles.
Add the onion, carrot, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, molasses, bouillon if using. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
Sauce will keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks

I have fish sauce, but have had it for a couple years in the shelves not refrigerated, so not sure what the shelve life is but decided I should not use it unless you all think it is still good. It smells like, well it smells like fish sauce.
Dave

Smells good? Taste a little. Doesn't taste "off"? Like anything else, it's always nicest if your ingredients are fresher, but I've cooked with old bottled ingredients in a pinch, and am still here. See what else you've got among your fresher ingredients that might deliver the savory flavor you're craving. If nothing strikes you in particular, use the fish sauce. You should be fine.

Fish sauce will hold a long time if it is pure fish sauce. Check the ingredients, many add sugar, and that is where you can get into a little trouble. The salt content in very high, so you may well be okay. The stuff is already fermented and salted, hard for anything to go bad.

I use fish sauce in a variety of ways in BBQ. The important thing is that you need some acidity and some sweetness to cut the fishy flavor. Things such as citrus juice, vinegar etc...work great to do just that.

Dark soy, Chinese black vinegar and dried mushroom water (soak dried mushrooms in water) have a great ability to add umami and depth of flavor to dishes as well.

Update

Made the the sauce yesterday, it had at last count 24 ingredients, no fish sauce, it was to late by the time I read about it. I wont post a pic unless you just need to see what looks like a pot full of chocolaty pudding.

Really tasted very good, very savory as I wanted with just a hint of sweet. My problem now is I have nothing small enough to cook, and try it on, its snowing outside so I wont be going out for meat today.

Even if it turns out good on bbq meat I probably wont make it again because it has way to many ingredients in it, I don't want the hassle of getting all the supply's gathered up to make it. I will give it another try while trying to using a much smaller palliate next time.

Stay tuned, as I implement further stratgery. :twitch:
Dave

Back