Brat-Kebobs

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried something new today. I made Brat-Kebobs.

Johonsonville brats simmered in dark beer for 15 minutes, then placed on skewers with onions and red, green and yellow bell peppers. Then they were grilled over indirect heat until the veggies were almost done and then glazed with a sweet beer glaze made from the beer that was used for simmering.

Here's the kebobs before going onto the grill. I realized too late that I didn't have enough small skewers so I had to use some large ones. They don't look as nice as the small ones but they work. I also played around with the order of the peppers to see which order looked best.

IMG_1368.jpg

Here they are after cooking and glazing. We ate them with the extra glaze as a dipping sauce. If I were doing these for guests I would probably serve the left over glaze in a bowl made from one of the peppers.

IMG_1370.jpg

pull out the foodsaver.... i'll PM you my address so you can pack those bad boys in dry ice and ship some to me !!!

Seriously, Looks great Ron !!!.... I'm sure they tasted even better than they look.

DAMN--biggo supper and now I am hungry again :lol:

Looking great--thanks!

TIM

It's too bad they don't make a blue pepper. They almost have a patriotic look!

Great lookin' eat Ron!! This is a recipe I will remember and try very soon.

Good looking grub Ron. I've had a hankering for kebabs lately. I think I'll be inviting some friends over so I can have an excuse to do a bunch of them. I'm thinking about an assortment of skewers using chicken, beef, shrimp and scallops.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Ron, how 'bout a recipe for that glazing sauce? :wink:

Yeah, don't hold out on us! Those do look pretty nice- and I'm intrigued by the sweet beer-based glaze.

Good lookin' groceries!!!!

Oops... I forgot the glaze recipe! This is experimental, but tasted pretty good. Its also very simple.

Beer Glaze

1 cup beer (your favorite flavor. I used some Oktoberfest I had left in the pantry. I used the beer that I simmered the brats in for better flavor)
1/2 cup Borwn Sugar
2 T Spicy brown mustard
2 T Butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Reduce the beer by 50%. Lower the heat and add in the other ingredients. Stir or whisk over low heat until the butter is melted and the glaze is mixed thoroughly.

Brush on kebobs during the last couple of minutes of cooking and serve on the side as a dipping sauce.

This is the recipe that I used yesterday. The glaze was good, but needed a little zip. When I make it again I'm going to add a few red pepper flakes or a dash of chipotle powder. Not much, just a little to add some zing.

Good show. I suppose that would also be great using Italian sausage, probably without the glaze though.

Back