do I need door thermometers ?

davefan360

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am building a 120gallon RF pit. I will have 4 spots for remote probes, do I need to have door thermometers too? I would like to go with tru-tel but they are like 35$ each and we would want 3. I know we could add them down the road but to start do we need them?

Sounds like you don't need them right now. I would at least put the couplings in the doors for the Tru Tels and put some plugs in them. That way they will be there when you do need them.

I have a Good One Rodeo which came with but ONE thermo. C'mon, this thing has 4 grates. Tell Tru all the way Baby!

PB160591.jpg

Each thermo is just under each grate. Works for me. I agree with putting in the threaded ports and plugging for now. The probe therms are nice, and you will want to use some for the meat anyway, but the built ins are rock solid.

I don't put much faith in electrical gizmos probse go bad, batteries die, and rain is hell on them. Tru tel's are like Zippo Lighters a little tweek every now and again they keep on going, that electrical scrap is like a Bic ya can't Tweek 'em when they quit there good for target practice.

IMO a smoker just isn't complete w/o a big dial thermo, even if it just for bling... Cheers!!!

ok I think we will just put the ports in and cap them off for now. is tre-tel the best?

I look at Tel-Tru as an investment.

Back