Just Fired it up!

Reichy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Well I just fired up the UDS for the first time and am in the process of seasoning it as we speak and I am pumped up about this! My wife is walking around laughing, saying I’m like a kid in a candy store about this. I will post some pictures to this a little later as the day goes on.
I am thinking about smoking a pork loin for today and possibly a fatty, well I’ll attempt a fatty. I was going to add onions, mushrooms and mozzarella to the mix for the fatty, what’s the worst that could happen.
Pork loin does anyone have a suggestion as to which type of wood they use for smoking? I was thinking of trying mesquite or is it mostly trial and error as what to use?

Are you using just wood or a charcoal/wood mixture?

Just an opinion...

Mesquite is known to be a heavier, bitter flavor... better suited for beef cuts.

Apple or Cherry (fruitwoods) are a sweeter, mellow flavor better suited for your porkloin.

Just use a small amount (a few chunks) with a charcoal fire (Minion Method).
Won't need alot of time to reach an internal temp 140 - 145* ... just a few hours (from beginning to end).

Allow to rest at least 15/30 minutes before slicing.

Best of luck... sounds a wonderful introduction to the UDS.

Last edited:
I am an apple guy, or perhaps peach since that is what I have currently, for pork. I find mesquite is best for beef, specifically for steaks.

Good luck and have fun! Wife will be very pleased with the end results.

Good to know about the mesquite, I have some cherry that I will add to the charcoal.

Newbie question, is it better to use a wood/charcoal mix or just wood? Benefits?

Good to know about the mesquite, I have some cherry that I will add to the charcoal.

Newbie question, is it better to use a wood/charcoal mix or just wood? Benefits?

If you use just wood, be sure to first burn it down to charcoal!:p

Just ribbin' ya...The charcoal is for fuel, and the wood is for flavor. It slowly smolders in a UDS, so it doesn't take much, and if you've had good bbq, you'll know if you used too much wood when you take that first bite. Pretty typical preferences of the level of smoke flavor, from heaviest to lightest: pork shoulder/butts, brisket, ribs, and poultry not needing much wood at all.

Cherry's tasty on everything. :thumb:

Done with the first UDS smoke. Wife was very happy with the results! Very juicy and delicious! Thank you for all the help and suggestions. IMG_3474.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

Back