I can't stand being told what "Real BBQ" is...

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
You know, I've got a lot of tolerance for a lot of things. But here's what I don't tolerate. Did some pork butts and had a guy tell me that how I did them wasn't "real bbq". :mad: That it was "cheating".

I used to smoke my butts with a dry rub, pull then serve. I have recently over the past year changed how I do pulled pork. I smoke without any dry rub or anything. When finished, I pull the pork, mop with a homemade sauce I make from scratch then put back in the smoker for about 20-30 minutes then serve. I like it better that way and everyone that has eaten concurs and absolutely dies for it. I've had several request from people to do pulled pork for them for family events.

I was recently told that how I was doing it wasn't "real bbq". "Real BBQ" doesn't need a "mop sauce". But "real bbq" is dry and if "done right" you don't need a sauce or any sort of "mop sauce". I told the SOB to put down the third sandwich he was eating of it if it wasn't "real bbq" and didn't taste as good. Sorry, had to vent. :mad:

Some folks ya just can't please. Most likely he was just jealous of your efforts and could not be nice enough to actually compliment you on the meal.
Keep doing it YOUR way! That's what BBQ is all about!

Guy had alot of nutz complaining on the third sammich...... some people!

I don't know why he would say that. Although many do use a dry rub to start its not a requirement and what of those who wrap in foil add juice to the foil or use a sauce at the end? You put smoke to it low and slow. I think I'd vote for real....oh and you used pork so its definitely "real" BBQ.

<~~~runs serpentine to avoid the buckshot

are you having fun doing it? are you cooking inside? are you using propane, charcoal, or wood? dry rub or mop?

The questions as to what real BBQ is can go on for days. The most important thing is to bring smiles to the people eating it! And yourself of course!

You know, I've got a lot of tolerance for a lot of things. But here's what I don't tolerate. Did some pork butts and had a guy tell me that how I did them wasn't "real bbq". :mad: That it was "cheating".

I used to smoke my butts with a dry rub, pull then serve. I have recently over the past year changed how I do pulled pork. I smoke without any dry rub or anything. When finished, I pull the pork, mop with a homemade sauce I make from scratch then put back in the smoker for about 20-30 minutes then serve. I like it better that way and everyone that has eaten concurs and absolutely dies for it. I've had several request from people to do pulled pork for them for family events.

I was recently told that how I was doing it wasn't "real bbq". "Real BBQ" doesn't need a "mop sauce". But "real bbq" is dry and if "done right" you don't need a sauce or any sort of "mop sauce". I told the SOB to put down the third sandwich he was eating of it if it wasn't "real bbq" and didn't taste as good. Sorry, had to vent. :mad:

Sounds like you're doing it right to me. I draw the line when an oven or crock pot are involved. :biggrin:

Guess it depends on the meaning of real. Most people say real BBQ and mean traditional whether pork in the South East or Brisket in Texas or Memphis style or KC style or West Coast style with hot grilled tri-tip, etc.

If it's traditional southern style pork BBQ then that person was correct. Obviously he thought that your BBQ was good to eat but that doesn't mean it was the traditional style.

For the record I believe that "real BBQ" means a dry rub on meat and if wanted a mop sauce while cooking and sauce optional. The flavor should be in the meat and the sauce is a compliment to that flavor.

A jack-ass is born every day. Sorry you had to suffer him, especially when feeding
him! Honestly, BBQ is simply low n slow, otherwise its grilling... Obviously you did
low n slow. How you pull it, when/if you mop, when/if you sauce, when/if you rub
is 100% up to your taste. He not only is mis-informed, he's a profound jack-ass for
saying this while scarfing up your wonderful tasty Q.

The only difference in seasoning the meat with a dry rub compared to a sauce is one is "wet" and the other is...well..."dry". But the end result is you're still seasoning the meat. You're adding something to it outside of the smoke, moisture and heat.

If we want to really get technical about it "real" bbq doesn't require ANY seasoning but simply throwing the meat on the smoker and allowing the moisture, heat and smoke do its thing. At it's purist state THAT is "real bbq".

Guess it depends on the meaning of real. Most people say real BBQ and mean traditional whether pork in the South East or Brisket in Texas or Memphis style or KC style or West Coast style with hot grilled tri-tip, etc.

If it's traditional southern style pork BBQ then that person was correct. Obviously he thought that your BBQ was good to eat but that doesn't mean it was the traditional style.

For the record I believe that "real BBQ" means a dry rub on meat and if wanted a mop sauce while cooking and sauce optional. The flavor should be in the meat and the sauce is a compliment to that flavor.

Low and slow it was. Smoked it with lump charcoal with a nice mix of oak and hickory wood. Kept the temps around 250-275 degrees. Yes, the guy is a pure jack-ass at it purist definition. He's a relative on my wife's side of the family. It's not that the jack-ass said that it was he said it while eating THREE SAMMICHES!!! Good night alive!!! :rolleyes:

A jack-ass is born every day. Sorry you had to suffer him, especially when feeding
him! Honestly, BBQ is simply low n slow, otherwise its grilling... Obviously you did
low n slow. How you pull it, when/if you mop, when/if you sauce, when/if you rub
is 100% up to your taste. He not only is mis-informed, he's a profound jack-ass for
saying this while scarfing up your wonderful tasty Q.

Seems like people who criticize bbq are the ones who never make it, or can't make it. Like Skip said, low and and slow... As long as you like it, don't sweat it.

Bamabuzzard,
How could that upset you? To be criticized from a guy with his pie hole stuffed with your real BBQ. Concider the source.

Pork butt without a dry rub is called doing it "nekkid". If it is done enough to have a name, then I would say it is a legit form of bbq.:wink:

Like painting bbq is an art. Painting has oil paintings, acrylic paintings, watercolor paintings, etc. All are legitimate forms of the same art (painting), even though the styles and techniques in each are very different. The same goes for bbq.:-D

I'm kinda a BBQ purist myself, getting back to the creation of BBQ. Texas cattle drives
with beef was 80+ years AFTER it was created/invented on sugar cane plantations
in SC and GA, by slaves. They used pork; they weren't given beef... Even in my
competition rub, I use spices that they had available to them way back then (before TX
was a brain-fart), and they're CREOLE based (getting ALL they way back). Low n slow,
rubbed with creole spices. But, that's me. Ok, on my rub for NEW-Q (Texas Brisket)
I use more what they had available on cattle drives and it isn't creole spice based
with much more black pepper... nouveau-Q, circa 1720 :)

Your jack-ass-in-law is mis-informed. That's as real a BBQ as anything else. May
not be his personal stated preference, but it seems that he actually prefers FREE
food, BBQ or not...

I think what pi$$ed me off was I've put a lot of time and energy over the past six or seven years learning how to bbq and smoke meat over a natural fire and heat source. I've learned that it's not as easy as people think and it's not just starting a fire and slinging meat on a grate. It's much more to it than that. And to have someone that's never done it tell me that what I'm doing is basically a "fraud" just doesn't sit well with me.

The more I think about it I should of just snatched the damn sandwich out of his mouth and told him not to eat something he didn't approve of. But my wife would have been ticked!!!

Seems like people who criticize bbq are the ones who never make it, or can't make it. Like Skip said, low and and slow... As long as you like it, don't sweat it.

Tell the feller to run on over to Mickey D's and get him a "rib" sammy if he don't like your Q....

It's not just you. I imagine he complains to or criticizes just about everyone on just about anything. Some folks are just that way. You know, j***offs.

Back