BBQ Camp?

Smokey-T

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Fellow Brethren,

Is there such a thing as a BBQ camp? A couple day or week long instructional that can aid a backyard boy into a higher level Pit Master?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

I think you're at Camp right now! Just takes some time and cooking. I know I'm learning new stuff here every day.
I'd eat too much if I went to BBQ Camp!

I think you're at Camp right now! Just takes some time and cooking. I know I'm learning new stuff here every day.
I'd eat too much if I went to BBQ Camp!

I agree, you can learn a lot, just by reading posts and trying techniques. Another thing I have found helpful is a BBQ log book. When I do a recipe, I basically track everything I did...

Meat Type
Any Prep, notes on how I trimmed the meat
Rub/Seasonings - how long did I put it on before cooking
Internal Meat Temp at start of cooking
Wood Chunks/Chips used
Smoker Temp
Did I foil it at any time - if so how many hours/what temp was the meat
Did I add liquid to the foil
How tender was the meat when done
Was anything about the seasonings overpowering/weak

Basically every step I make, I track it, in hopes that it will help me find patterns of what works best. I am by no means a professional, but I hope to be someday.:biggrin:

Lots of Pros run clinics. Look at the BBq organization websites. They usually have links.

Check with a specialty store that sales mainly grills or Green Eggs. They wouldn't be cooking on the same equipment as you but it might be interesting.

practice , practice, some of those so call expert not that great. if you like it and the family like it you are an expert.

Central PA is pretty light weight when it comes to this stuff. Primary goal is to be really good at this and just wanted a little bump with some extreme exposure from those in the know. Yes, this and other forums have helped me a great deal, but would really like to get a week of intense instruction.

If anyone knows of East coast or MidWest, let me know. CA is a bit far for me!

Thanks!

Central PA is pretty light weight when it comes to this stuff. Primary goal is to be really good at this and just wanted a little bump with some extreme exposure from those in the know. Yes, this and other forums have helped me a great deal, but would really like to get a week of intense instruction.

If anyone knows of East coast or MidWest, let me know. CA is a bit far for me!

Thanks!

well they are not a week long but most of the "hands on" classes take up a weekend and will give you what you want. While not as common here in the northeast, they are available, just keep checking, like people have said already, the cooks from I Smell Smoke and iQue have held classed here and I think they both are going to again next year.
You can also try and hook up with one of the teams at a comp looking to mentor people or just see if you can hang out with one for a weekend but this is going to give you a crash course in competing, not necessarily cooking

"Mentoring" seems more of a learning experience than "Pit Bitch".... One sounds like you would learn something, the other like you would be expected to "Squeal like a pig" ..... :eek:

Thanks all. I will keep at it, reading this forum and watching for day or weekend offerings.

Ted

I asked a friend that does comps the same question. Is there a school etc that I can attend to get better, learn basics un-learn some things. His reply was "Practice, Practice, Practice". Jagardn is right. If we keep doing the same thing over and expect different results...write down what you did and didn't do. Yes its a pain but so is a no call at a comp. Just my dimes worth (inflation).

I would join your state BBQ society. Up in New England we have the New England Barbeque Society and they put on judging and cooking classes a few times a year.

Back