Weber Summit Charcoal Grill - Pros and Cons?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've never been interested in them, but there's a guy selling a brand new one 90 miles away that keeps dropping his price. He's down to $1,080.

What are these things known for? What is the price at which it's insane to pass up? It's just the grill, not the grilling center. Lists for $1699 at weber.com

I had someone selling them last summer and I got him down to $950. However, I pushed it and asked for $900 and he did not bite.

With table? If so.... great price.

Ooops.... reread post... no table.

Buy it, you will not be disappointed. Great grill and smokes good too. I like making pizzas on mine as well. Get it

Last edited:
I purchased the table model a few months ago. I love the thing. Turns out great food and very easy to use. I came from a 22" kettle so keep that in mind.

Lid on a hinge. This is my favorite thing
The entire thing rolls so smooth. I have it on a concrete slab so i store under roof and when ready to use just simply roll it out.
The workspace next to the grill (I know you are looking at the non table model)
One touch cleaning as all kettles have
Better fuel consumption although it will never make up for the price
Beefier grates

Con/Pro
Gas assist. It works no doubt about it. But for smoking i prefer to lay the lit charcoal on top of the non lit. This lights the charcoal from the bottom. Also when using the higher charcoal rack it takes a long time to get the coals good and lit. I find myself using a chimney with the rack in the bottom position. Get coals lit to my liking and then re arrange the charcoal rack to the right height and add the lit charcoal. I very rarely use the gas assist as it was designed.

Two height Charcoal Rack. It's nice being able to move it. But if you want to do a real nice reverse sear with the charcoal rack in the lower position, when it comes time to sear you are in for a treat. There is no way to lower the cooking grate. So trying to sear after smoking isn't going to happen. Even if you do a smoke and think boy something grilled would be nice. Unless you use tongs and grab all the burning charcoal and put in a chimney and then raise the charcoal rack and then re dump you arent grilling. One thing i am thinking about doing is getting another charcoal grate that i can have one in the lower position and one in the upper position. When i am done smoking or reverse searing remove the heat deflector and insert the reserved charcoal grate. This would give you a good sear spot.

Cons
The only con for me and i know BabyBack Maniac has the same problem is the smoke leakage out the front. I use mine at least 4 times a week so it is well seasoned. It still leaks smoke right out the front at the handle every cook. It isn't like when a diesel truck gets on the throttle but there is a slow never ending leak. For the amount of money this shouldn't happen.

My favorite things to cook are chicken and burgers. Both with the charcoal in the lower position, 450 degree range. The raised grate gives you the clearance for some good flare ups from the drippings but it never touches the food.

I would buy again for sure. Although i see Kamado Joe has or is releasing something very similar with a cart now.

If you contact Weber about that smoke leak they'll correct it, either with a new gasket or hinge assembly.

If you contact Weber about that smoke leak they'll correct it, either with a new gasket or hinge assembly.

Baby Back Maniac has a video in which Weber ultimately refused to help him correct this. If they ain't helping him, they ain't helping me! I ain't famous :) But typically, Weber is good customer service.

Baby Back Maniac has a video in which Weber ultimately refused to help him correct this. If they ain't helping him, they ain't helping me! I ain't famous :) But typically, Weber is good customer service.
He has another video saying that they are fixing it now. They came out with another hinge that they will send you if it leaks

As I understand it, it's a Kamado without the ceramic weight factor. The shell is supposed to be layered steel with an air space between them. I haven't heard an unhappy owner yet, and that price is solid.

I came from a 22" with sns, and a 26". It's way more temp stable and efficient with fuel. I have ran it fully loaded around 250 for thirty hours before. I miss the table my 22 had but have a 4 foot stainless table on castor's that was a bigger and cheaper route. I registered mine and they sent a free book fyi. Had a small smoke leak on the back but haven't noticed it lately. It's a great grill, usemy sns on it for steaks too. Still learning but love it. If price is to much a 26 with sns is a good option. I bought the grill only version for 925 total.

The only con I can think of is a con I can't use my amazing smoker pellet maze on it while I'm actually cooking too efficient and snuff it out

The only con is I can't use my amazing pellet smoker maze on it it's too efficient and snuffs it out

Last edited:
Please ignore, I misread OP....carry on!

Last edited:
Back