Need a copy cat recipe....

Here's a version I've seen. I don't know how close to the 'original' it comes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BLACKENED SEASONING MIX

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Seasoning Meat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tbsp paprika
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp white pepper
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp fennel -- or seeds crushed

Mix all and store in a glass jar.

NOTES : Usually blackened seasoning for steak has fennel seed in it which really gives the meat a great taste. You can make your own which is a lot less expensive or you can buy Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Steak Magic seasoning. We have it at the local market in the seasoning section.

I'm not a big fan of blackened steak and deep down I've always wondered if Chef Paul wasn't partly responsible for the stricter regulations on Reds...but Mrs thirdeye likes both blackened steak and pork chops and they are sure fun to cook, and I love the smells.

I think the success of those recipes is a combination of seasoning and technique. I do hers in a cast iron skillet on my single propane burner, but I bump the heat with my weed burner. Do you prefer dipping the seasoned meat in melted butter then cooking or tossing a stick of butter into the skillet and following with the seasoned meat, sort of a one-two punch??

thirdeye said:
I'm not a big fan of blackened steak and deep down I've always wondered if Chef Paul wasn't partly responsible for the stricter regulations on Reds...but Mrs thirdeye likes both blackened steak and pork chops and they are sure fun to cook, and I love the smells.

I think the success of those recipes is a combination of seasoning and technique. I do hers in a cast iron skillet on my single propane burner, but I bump the heat with my weed burner. Do you prefer dipping the seasoned meat in melted butter then cooking or tossing a stick of butter into the skillet and following with the seasoned meat, sort of a one-two punch??

Throw the butter in, then the meat or fish, with a heavy coating of the seasoning mix, patted and pushed well into the meat.

Fire in the hole!!!!!

I like cooking blackened fish and steak, maybe more than I like eating it, too.

backyardchef said:
Here's a version I've seen. I don't know how close to the 'original' it comes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BLACKENED SEASONING MIX

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Seasoning Meat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tbsp paprika
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp white pepper
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp fennel -- or seeds crushed

Mix all and store in a glass jar.

NOTES : Usually blackened seasoning for steak has fennel seed in it which really gives the meat a great taste. You can make your own which is a lot less expensive or you can buy Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Steak Magic seasoning. We have it at the local market in the seasoning section.

This is the EXACT formula Paul gives in his 1984 seminal cookbook "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana kitchen"

can u cook this inside? or do u need really REALLY good Ventalition? Id like to try a blackened steak but dont wanna stink up the house.

FatDaddy said:
can u cook this inside? or do u need really REALLY good Ventalition? Id like to try a blackened steak but dont wanna stink up the house.

FatDaddy--If you want to make authentic blackend steak you need to do it outside. Even most restaurants don't have adaquate venilation to do this inside. Use a turkey fryer burner and a cast iron pan is the best way.

In it's heyday, Paul's restaurant, K-Paul's in the French Quarter, did the blackened redfish on a propane burner in the back alley.

Here is a menu from May of '92. Check out the prices for the blackened tuna and beef, damn good eats but a tick steep for a po-boy like me. LOL

f803da48.jpg

Blackened whisker fish is good eats. Serve with a little rooster sauce and I'm a happy boy.

Thanks!!

Boy ask a question here and guys come out of the woodwork to help you out!!!,,,Thank You so much!!..I'm gonna make up a batch tomorrow and let you all know how close it comes to the original...as far as technique..I always go outside and fire up my Turkey Fryer burner (160,000BTU!)..I adjust the flame to a reasonable level but far hotter than a home stovetop is capable of..I then get the Cast Iron frypan EXTREMELY HOT (I suggest that you ONLY use cast iron..you'll ruin a teflon coated pan due to the much higjer heat) ,I dip the meat in melted butter, coat it heavily with the Blacken Magic and then put it in the pan..LOOK OUT!!!!!..SMOKE GALORE!!!!..after it is in the pan I coat the opposite side and flip it over when the first side is nicely crusted..cook to your desired degree of doneness and enjoy!!!!..this stuff is the absolute finest spice blend I've ever used and I can't wait to try this blend!!!!..Wi-Doe

Can't you do blackened with wood also??
I have a little charcoal braizer that I can
can get a cast iron pan mighty hot. I have
never cooked blackened before but this thread is
makin' me want to try it thinking surf & turf
big big diver scallops & rib eyes blackened...
must try... mmm

Nitrofly said:
Can't you do blackened with wood also??
I have a little charcoal braizer that I can
can get a cast iron pan mighty hot. I have
never cooked blackened before but this thread is
makin' me want to try it thinking surf & turf
big big diver scallops & rib eyes blackened...
must try... mmm

I have never tried it with charcoal, but Paul Prudhomme says charcoal does not hot enough to truly blacken the product. His instructions call for heating the cast iron pan until it is past the smoking stage, and white ash is seen in the bottom.

The only thing I have that will do that is a turkey fryer burner.

Having said that, I confess that I frequently season fish, beef, or pork with a blackening mix, and grill over the hottest fire I can build in my Weber with lump charcoal. To me the result is satisfactory, but it is not the same level of flavor as a real blackened dish would be.

When I run out of pauls I simply use garlic powder, oregano, cayenne, black pepper and salt. I'm not a fan of fennel, so I usually use blackened redfish magic.

I've never blackened anything except some biscuits the other day. Must've gotten to comfortable on the couch.

Wow!!

Geez, if you haven't tried Blackening you're missing out on a WORLD of wonderful flavor!!..I went caribou hunting a few years back and blackened some VERY FRESH caribou steaks for the guys in camp..they all went NUTS!!!!..One guy was obsessed by the flavor and borrowed my Steak Magic to blacken store bought Bologna!!..He couldn't get enough of the taste..it's one of lifes real treats..try it you'll love it!!!..Wi-Doe

Back