Meat hanging question / PBC vs Hunskr

lastmajordude

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dude
I see plenty of PBC pics of hanging meat over open coals but I thought that was the reason the Hunsaker vortex was invented, because hot spots directly over coals?? Why does the PBC not burn meat but a drum will?? I’m confused...I’ll hang up and listen.

The explanation I've seen is that the narrower diameter of the PBC combined with the only top vents being spaced around the top edge (the holes for the rebar) helps create a cyclonic convection current that's more conducive to even temperature mix throughout the cooker, whereas the larger diameter of 55-gallon based drum cookers with single stack/draw doesn't get cyclonic movement, which keeps temps directly over the coals higher.

If you hang in a drum and run the temps that a PBC does. The meat does not burn. Temps 275* and lower typically will not have flair ups. Which can burn the meat only inches from the coals.
Been doing it for alot of years.

Just hung some racks in my WSM, no pan ,over coals, with a hanger for a little more lift. no flare ups, no burned ribs, maybe the best ribs i've done yet.

I thought the reason for the Vortex was to cover the coals while still providing the necessary air flow with the reason for covering them being to avoid the flavor created by the drippings hitting the coals.

I do not claim to be correct, however.

I think ebijack^ nailed it. I hang ribs on my 22 WSM with the gateway drum hanging rack at 275* with no problems.

I'm curious how close the ribs are to the coals on a PBC, no need to trim a couple bones off the rack?

Back