Pellet grill guys an gals

Whodat985

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My first ever pellet grill is arriving tomorrow rt-700 can’t wait. I’ve never seen a pellet grill in action. Do y’all have any tips ? What’s the best brand of pellets to buy ? What’s your favorite pellet to smoke with ?

Congrats on the new arrival!! I've only been using my Z-Grill pellet grill for about 3 months now but, I really like competition blend pellets(Hickory, Maple, Apple/Cherry blend) they have seemed to produce the best flavor for me so far. As for brand I'll leave that to someone else since like I said i'm still new to the pellet game but I use Grillers Gold from Rural King

I tried a bunch of different pellets in my pit boss and never noticed a real difference so I went back to burning pit boss competition blend. A lot of people around here like lumberjack pellets from Dick’s sporting goods. I tried them and didn’t notice a real difference in flavor. You may have different results with your cooker.

Well I tried the competition blend in my Pit Boss Austin XL and didn't like it at all. I really like hickory for anything pork and fo grilling steaks. Mesquite or oak I like for brisket.

I have used pit boss competition blend, lumber jack competition blend, and lumber jack 100% Hickory. The LJ 100% Hickory puts a greater amount of smoke. Several on here also like Cookin pellets and Bear Mountain. I will tell you this how you use the cooker will determine a lot too. Some people use it like a grill this will minimize smoke flavor. I use mine more like a smoker, use Extreme smoke (180* on RT) to produce larger amounts of smoke. Once you get to 250* you can notice the smoke produced is lighter. Good luck on an excellent decision. #RecTeqlifestyle

I’ve tried a bunch of different pellets and right now I am happiest with B&B Post Oak pellets. Great smoke flavor and they get HOT for grilling.

I like CookinPellets, solely for the reasons that they don't use Oak or Alder as base and remove bark. I think they burn cleaner and provide a little more smoke flavor than the others I've tried. However, that's only really been Weber, Traeger and Lumberjack. Now that other brands are more prevalent here, I just haven't gone through trying them when I have something I like.

As far as tips, get a cheap shop vac to vacuum out barrel and fire pot (after letting it cool several hours or overnight of course), wrap the drip tray in foil - wide heavy duty - for easier clean up, and start most long cooking proteins really low (like 180-225) for the first hour or two to get more smoke flavor.

Burgers and Meatloaf are great on pellet grills. Bake some banana bread or a pecan pie on it. Give about anything a shot, not just the traditional ribs, butt, brisket, etc.

I will second the shop vac recommendation. I bought the "bucket head" version from Home Depot. $25 plus the $3 for a bucket and you have a nifty little ash vac that also can act as a blower.

Definitely try different pellets, I can’t taste a difference between brands or type of wood. I haven’t used any mesquite pellets (not even sure if they’re out there). You will probably be able to smell a difference, but I don’t think anyone would pass a blind taste test. I bought 240 pounds of Lumberjack on sale from Dick’s, but I’m back to using Pit Boss competition blend.

I had to lower the minimum feed rate a good bit on my RT700. It was going way over temp. I also replaced the meat probes. I have the version from when they first came out and you can’t adjust the calibration of the probes. They were reading 15 degrees apart in the water test. The ones I bought were on Amazon made by Elgin and they seem to be more accurate.

Definitely try different pellets, I can’t taste a difference between brands or type of wood. I haven’t used any mesquite pellets (not even sure if they’re out there). You will probably be able to smell a difference, but I don’t think anyone would pass a blind taste test. I bought 240 pounds of Lumberjack on sale from Dick’s, but I’m back to using Pit Boss competition blend.

I had to lower the minimum feed rate a good bit on my RT700. It was going way over temp. I also replaced the meat probes. I have the version from when they first came out and you can’t adjust the calibration of the probes. They were reading 15 degrees apart in the water test. The ones I bought were on Amazon made by Elgin and they seem to be more accurate.

Just actually finished a bag of Mesquite pellets. Personally didnt like them but that could be the brand. I believe they were Cuisinart? Can't remember fully. Got them at Walmart

I have tried, in my short time of ownership, Pitboss, Traeger, and Lumberjack. The Lumberjack is the best smelling and tasting for me. I can get those three locally. I do 2:1 apple to hickory.

I can't add much here. I'm a new pellet guy myself. I've tried Bear Mountain, Cookin' Pellets and B&B in a number of flavors. Right now my plan (always subject to change) is to standardize on B&B Championship Blend and 2 flavors of Cookin' Pellets (Hickory and Cherry). I'll mix some of the Hickory and Cherry and save some non-mixed. That should be enough variety to cover most of my cooks. I think. If I get more convinced that there's little/no taste difference, I'll probably just go B&B.

PS - the best/strongest smelling is the Cookin' Pellets Hickory.

I will say that cherry pellets or blends with cherry will add some pretty color to your food. Outside of that, I haven’t noticed much taste difference on any I’ve tried other than 100% hickory being stronger than blends and those that use base/flavor combos.

Well we will soon see the 700 came in yesterday an is set up an ready for the burn in this morning with the brisket test after to check for hot spots. Guy putting this grill together I’m very impressed. They didn’t skimp one anything might be the best investment I’ve made yet. If you gonna sink 800 into a Traeger get extra an buy rec tec

Cookin' Pellets, Lumberjack, and Bear Mountain all said to be good pellets. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Camp Chef pellets seem to be good. Considering where you are B&B pellets from Academy Sports may be your best bet. They are rebranded BBQer's Delight pellets at a very good price.

Can't add a ton - but I have been using Lumberjack for 2 years or so now and have never had any issues. If you live near a Rural King, they're $8.88 for a 20lb bag ($7.77 last year on Black Friday). For the money, not sure you can beat it. I use the Maple/Cherry competition blend and 100% oak are my two favorites. One thing about the RK near me, the selection is somewhat limited.

Back