Finally Got To Judge in 2020 ~ And A Double Header Weekend

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Unfortunately, six or seven contests which I was confirmed to judge this year in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana cancelled. My last surviving event was the two-day Smoke & Soulfest in Casper, WY which was this weekend. I had a great time and the weather was near perfect for October in Wyoming.... which means wear a jacket and shorts in the morning, then loose the jacket by 10am.

Congrats to SLAPS BBQ, Grand Champion both days! :thumb: And to Gettin' Basted, Reserve Champion for both days! :thumb: Also a big thanks to the 39 other teams that made this weekend a success. :clap: I believe this was a record number of teams for this event.

One of my favorite things to do. I had trouble getting in to some comps the last year that I was a judge. Two canceled and one I had to cancel. I really like the double headers. The best one I did had around 80 teams, including 10 or 15 of the most well-known names in BBQ.

I also did my first KCBS event this weekend Smoketoberfest Ottumwa IA. Very well run, safe, but cold as hell, and wet all day (mid 40's) .
I felt so bad for the teams, meat was cold which definitely affected taste and texture. I'm sure the pork was delicious warm but was greasy with poor mouth feel during judging. I really tried to upscore when in doubt.
I'm done for the year.
Ed

I just checked the KCBS website and it looked like there were some good scores. Hope that translated to good food in front of YOU.

Thanks for judging! It was a fun event, and I know we enjoyed going up there. Thought we had a much better day on Sunday than Saturday, but the judges saw it opposite. Oh well, that's how it goes.

Hope you had some good food in front of you.

I just checked the KCBS website and it looked like there were some good scores. Hope that translated to good food in front of YOU.

Thanks for judging! It was a fun event, and I know we enjoyed going up there. Thought we had a much better day on Sunday than Saturday, but the judges saw it opposite. Oh well, that's how it goes.

Hope you had some good food in front of you.

Yes, I had some good looking, and wonderful bites at my tables on both days. Things ran smoothly inside the tent as well. I felt bad for the Table Captains and the volunteers because the COVID protocol did not allow a leftover table for them to snack on in-between turn-ins.

I cooked there last year and we considered it early this year.... but frankly I was glad I was on the eating end.

@THIRDEYE - I would have liked to have met you in the tent. What a great event and the quality of the food was fantastic. I feel fortunate to have participated in a different position each day, which is what I like to do. I was also in Casper three years ago when I think it was the inaugural year.

@THIRDEYE - I would have liked to have met you in the tent. What a great event and the quality of the food was fantastic. I feel fortunate to have participated in a different position each day, which is what I like to do. I was also in Casper three years ago when I think it was the inaugural year.

Who knows, maybe we did meet. I was on the west end of the tent both days.

The judging was almost perfect there!

I didn't realize you guys were there until I saw the scores Saturday night.

Back