View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

This being our first BIG comp, I think we packed more crap in preparation for this then we would if we were expecting the world to end!!! It took me longer to find things than it did to use them once I found them.

But, I did try to forecast the weather on my own knowing that once the cold front came in, the wind would change. So, we were fortunate enough to park our trucks and U-Haul in the best positions. And, it worked.

One of the things that did get my goat was, the 4-way water hose connector for our 4 sites. They used 1 of the 4 outlets to feed other sites. So, that left only 3 outlets for 4 sites. I am still not sure how 4:20 got water as they were directly behind us and part of the 4 sites; only 3 sites had water connections. (Note: Pack a couple of Y-connectors in with the rest of my crap.)

Mike, I did notice that your area was packed like sardines! That was not good.

Also, as I have learned from camping, BYOTP! The toilet paper in most of the outhouses around us either ran out, or it was so moist that you couldn't unroll it.

Maybe it is just me, but what the heck was up with the eggs?!?! I have never seen eggs like that! I will most definitely plan on cooking our own breakfast going forward; just my preference. It was decent that they had the items they did, but, to each their own.

One of my problems with cooking was I lost almost 2 hours of cook time when I put the butt and brisket in; the temp on the Fat Boy dropped to around 202 and stayed there until about 2:00. I did everything I cold to get the temps up, but some advice later on Saturday helped me to understand why. Again, I learned!

All things considered, we had a good time and met some good folks. Just wish the cold rain had stopped earlier.

One thing that a lot of folks did stop by to talk about was the UDS. A lot of people had never seen one and that was including the other competitors. Did not know it was that "weird". It served its purpose, and we'll use it again.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote