Cheap steak experiment...(PRON)

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Given the rising cost of rib eyes and T-bones, I decided to give one of the cheaper cuts a whirl.

Picked up a couple of top sirloin steaks.

I started by dry-brining with kosher salt for a couple hours. I then cooked indirect until about 110-115 internal, then did a quick sear and added some cracked black pepper and a little garlic powder.

Served with grilled corn on the cob and garden fresh green beans and garnished with grilled onions, jalapenos and squash.

Though not quite as tender as rib-eyes, they didn't turn out bad at all.

Whether or not there was a $6.00 a pound ($6.99 vs. $12.99) difference would be up to the individual I guess. For guests and what-not I'll still do the better cuts, but for spur-of the moment steaks they are a viable option.

VR,
Harold

I like the flavor of sirloin over T or a porter house. Jacard the bejezues out of after salting it and they almost melt in your mouth

I like the flavor of sirloin over T or a porter house. Jacard the bejezues out of after salting it and they almost melt in your mouth

jacard can be helpful

Nice! I've been eating alot of sirloin lately. Local grocery store has been making sirloin chunks and I've been buying them up. Love a good reverse sear sirloin!

Top sirloin was always my mom's favorite steak. It is tender, flavorful and takes a marinade very well.

You sir make a cheap steak look good and I bet it taste even better.

We all have our favorite cheap cuts. I personally am not a fan of sirloin. Actually i dont care much for strip steaks either. Ill kill a marinated round steak or sometime meijer has these little eye of chucks. They are not exactly chuckeyes, they are tiny but almost as good as ribeye. Never seen them anywhere else and they are not always in the case.

Still looks good to me!
I've experimented with some cheaper cuts. I like the round steaks from Meijer. I add some Bovine Bold and reverse sear.

Exactly, enlighten the unwashed and ignorant please...

VR,
Harold
There is a tool that pokes a lot of little holes in the meat, severing the muscle fibers to make the meat tenderer.
sb-sstriple.jpg

I cook my steaks rare - to - medium rare. Any issues with pushing bacteria from the surface to the center of the steak?

VR,
Harold

I love sirloin, and carving up a tri-tip into steaks is also quite good. I often used to buy top sirloin steaks and grill them up.

Also, that Eye of Chuck, sometimes called a Mock Tender or Denver Steak is really quite good

When I was growing up, steak meant sirloin. My beloved old man had to be careful when he walked around because he rubbed the first two nickels he earned together so much there was a good chance he might start a fire! I don't believe I ever had a ribeye or t- bone until I was into my 20's. That being said I still love a properly cooked top sirloin.

For those with a Costco around sometimes I can get whole Prime sirloin primals and then I cut 1 1/2 to 2 inch steaks. Olive oil, salt and pepper, then a good sear, then indirect until done works well for me. The guys at hunting camp sure don't kick me out when I fire them up!

Well thanks for all the good words... The experiment will be repeated.

VR,
Harold

I like sirloin's. Sometimes I'll get a sirloin over a t-bone, just because I think that top sirloin has a "beefier" taste. I sprinkle some salt and pepper on them and cook them caveman style. (To about med-rare.)

With the cost of beef being so astronomical these days, I too have been re-learning how to appreciate the Sirloin. It's not my favorite, but they can be remarkably tasty and satisfying if prepared well.

I hit em with Montreal rub and smoke em lightly with pecan until 120F, then reverse sear.

It helps if you can find Prime cuts for cheap.

Back