Low carb camping

piddlin

Reaction score
So, the missus and me are going on a little truck camper get away to WV this weekend. I just ordered the Weber Go Anywhere and Lodge skillet to fit the WGA.

I'd like some Brethren ideas for some low carb, few ingredient meals and not just the standard burgers, steaks and chops. I could eat only meat, but the wife not so much. We do plan to spend a good amount of time away from the camp site. So, meals that take an hour or less would be ideal. Thanks for the help.

I like to presmoke fatty's and then you can just slice and heat on the griddle. If you do a stuffed one with cheese/bacon it will be amazing when you get the cheese golden brown and crispy on the reheat.

You could do a cauliflower fried rice? Use some leftover meat from one of your dinners for it.

Last edited:
>We do kabobs a lot with chicken and pork with zucchini and onion, sometimes pineapple. Marinade meat ahead of time if you want added flavor.
>My dad stops at a meat store on the way to his camping spot and buys a big pack of appetizers that are small pieces of beef, wrapped around some cheese and the whole thing wrapped in bacon. You could you could make them ahead and use chicken pieces or even whole boneless thighs instead of beef. I like to slice a jalapeno or other pepper and wrap that in it too.
>Stuffed poblanos or bell peppers halved with shredded meat, cheese, onions and spinach.
>foil meals with chicken thighs instead of burgers, bacon or bacon grease, cabbage, shrooms, carrots, onions. If you want no potatoes, I like any other root veggies like turnips, rutabagas, beets. Broccoli works good too but keep the pieces bigger so it isnt mush.

**All of this could be prepped ahead to cook less than an hour. Otherwise a little more time

Last edited:
Definitely look at rice.
Boil it in the morning, and after about 10 minutes boiling move to a sleeping bag or something insulated and it will stay hot for hours.
Some meat on the fire, some form of sauce and you are good to go!

Look at rice noodles as well. They are very quick to cook. You can turn them into a salad or anything you want

Have fun!

MISSION makes "carb balance" tortillas and wraps. The flour ones we buy have 19g of carbs, but have 13g of fiber..... so the net carbs per tortilla is 6g. They are not as soft as the regular flour tortillas, but those have something like 25g of carbs and only 1g of fiber. In addition to burritos (or breakfast burritos) or softshells try both a Mexican influenced quesadillas or a quesadilla with pizza ingredients inside. If you use tortillas for a sandwich or instead of a hamburger bun, you can always trim away any excess.... which is really cutting carbs. :mrgreen:

Seasoned salmon fillets cooked in that CI skillet with a little EVO would be awesome. Add a few grilled veggies on the side and you have the perfect easily cooked healthy meal. :thumb:

Back