• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rub storage observation.

jemezspring

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Doing some ribs this a.m using Oakridge Sweet Dominator. I love this stuff as well as all of Mikes offerings. Bought the 1lb pack 5 months ago and separated most of it into an old repurposed shaker. The rest I left in the original packaging sealing as best I could.

Come this morning when I'm about to season the ribs I taste each. Wow. What a difference in flavor. The better sealed batch was much, much more flavorful with the spices and herbs coming through much stronger. The shaker contents were dull tasting like something I could make. Not sure if this will transfer to the cooked product but very noticeable in the raw.

My advice. Store your herbs&spices as airtight as possible and in the proper conditions. Most of us say we know this but fewer practice it.

I make it a point to keep my rubs in gallon ziplock storage bags with as much air removed as I can manage. I only transfer to a shaker bottle when I'm going to use it. The seasonings definitely stay more flavorful. Plus rubs with brown sugar in them tend to clump up after significant periods of storage in an environment where air is available. I have much better luck storing them in air tight bags.

I keep mine in air tite plastic containers and put them in the freezer. They are fresh for about 6 months. The only difference is my SPOG that stays in a shaker in the freezer with foil over the top. Nothing much to go flat in SPOG.

When I buy in bulk, I vac-seal in packages that allow up to 2 cooks. They stay fresh and it doesn't sit in the shaker for more than a week. If I have a lot of packages, they stay in the freezer.

I use gallon freezer bags and keep them in the freezer. Never thought about vac sealing.

As has been said, I make my rubs in bulk, and vac pack and freeze all but small amounts for immediate use. What is not frozen is stored in glass screw top jars.

I'm glad to see this topic. Great info!

Indeed very good advice. I don't have a vac-sealer but I can do the ziplock freezer method for larger amounts. The taste difference was like night and day. If the shaker had not been labeled I would have been hard pressed to say they were the same product.

Back