Meat Loaf (Pineapple-Teriyaki-Bacon)

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I wanted meat loaf yesterday and really wanted something a little different. My mind wandered and I decided on a pinneapple-teriyaki-bacon meat loaf.

Here is what I did (I estimate measurements, sorry for not being exact); at the end I will comment on what I would do different:

Loaf:
1. 1 lb 93% lean ground beef.
2. 1 lb ground sausage
3. About 1 TBSP BBQ rub
4. 2 eggs
5. About 1/2 cup panko
6. 1/2 cup diced onions (yellow)
7. 6 thick cut pieces of bacon cooked and diced up small
8. 1/2 cup pineapple pieces
9. About 1 cup cheddar cheese chunks

10. Teriyaki glaze
11. Onion roll

Mixed the meat loaf into two equal sized loafs and smoked on my egg at around 225. I used lump with a couple of chunks of cherry wood. Glazed two times with teriyaki sauce at 60 minutes and 90 minutes. It ended up taking about 2.5 hours (outside temps ranged between 85 to 75 in that a t-storm rolled in but no rain). Pulled at 163. Rest for about 10 minutes then served as a sandwich on onion roll.

Next time I will skip the BBQ rub and probably just go with salt/pepper. May add sweet soy sauce to the meat when making the loafs. Increase the bacon (I could not taste it). May even skip the onion and cheese in the meat loaf and serve both on top of the meat when on the roll (but would that not make it a hamburger?). Would increase the smoking temp to 250+ to reduce cook time and give it a little more exterior color/bark.

Overall, I really like it. I can't wait to have a little for lunch and to have it again tonight. Thanks for reading. Would be happy to receive any recommendations on how to make this a little better.

Yaker

Attachments

• Pinn-Ter Meat Loaf 7-28-21.jpg
    Pinn-Ter Meat Loaf 7-28-21.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Pinn-Ter Meat Loaf (2) 7-28-21.jpg
    Pinn-Ter Meat Loaf (2) 7-28-21.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 108
Nice!

I guess yesterday was meatloaf day. I cooked a few up for the freezer, and just in my cigar group there were 2 other guys that smoked them as well.

That sounds great. Tried meatloaf on the grill once. Was not very good. May have to try again

Follow up and close out...This meat loaf is really good. I put a bit of a crust on a couple left over pieces in a skillet. Wow, that knocked it up, really tasty. My adult son, (who still lives with me and steals my air) even had left overs for breakfast with eggs. This meatloaf will be made again.

Will do next time:
Add more bacon
Use sweet soy sauce
Skip the BBQ rub, probably just use SPG
Smoke hotter for a bit of bark
If your a cheese head, skip it in the loaf and add it on later, or do both.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Have a great weekend!

Back