Insulated Vertical Cabinet Smoker Opinions

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

How many of you guys are using water pans/ trays when smoking? Is it more of a nice to have but not really necessary?

How many of you guys are using water pans/ trays when smoking? Is it more of a nice to have but not really necessary?

I have not tried water in my pan yet, I will at some point but Chris from LSG does not recommend water if your cooking above 225 degrees since your making to much steam and burning a lot of fuel to keep the pit temp up since the water is never going to exceed 212.

I have the LSG mini and use the water pan almost always.
BTW, if you do own a LSG cabinet cooker, be sure to keep the hinges oiled.
I found that out the hard way.

I've never used water in mine and don't really feel that I have the need to do so as mine holds rock solid temps. I think the guys that tend to use water or feel the need to use water do so to regulate temps as they must be getting transient air into the combustion chamber making temps more difficult to regulate. Just spoke with Rob at Cascade Smokers yesterday and I decided to go with a custom size 3-36" wide x 24" deep racks. The smoker will have a cart so the charcoal box will be at waist level which will mitigate bending over to load fuel or clean the charcoal box and all three cooking racks will be at a comfortable working level.

I've never used water in mine and don't really feel that I have the need to do so as mine holds rock solid temps. I think the guys that tend to use water or feel the need to use water do so to regulate temps as they must be getting transient air into the combustion chamber making temps more difficult to regulate. Just spoke with Rob at Cascade Smokers yesterday and I decided to go with a custom size 3-36" wide x 24" deep racks. The smoker will have a cart so the charcoal box will be at waist level which will mitigate bending over to load fuel or clean the charcoal box and all three cooking racks will be at a comfortable working level.

So about a foot wider and slightly deeper than the Quedeville.

I never use water in mine.

Stopped a while ago in my UDS as i burned way more fuel and had a harder time reaching higher temps. Didn’t see any drop off in moistness of meat either.

I thought each rack was either 3" or 3.5" apart? LSG basically built the exact smoker I wanted but they couldn't build at the time I wanted. It even has the wide grates vs what Humphrey's has and that's why I stay away from Humphrey's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The racks on my humprheys are pretty wide.

Hey Everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join such a great site. I'm new to the BBQ smoking game. I would like to get your opinions and thoughts on the 3 list of 3, but opinion to other smoker considerations (advantages/ disadvantages, direct flow vs reverse flow and options to consider. Based on my research, they are all solid smokers, made by stand-up reputable guys and fairly close in price. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

1) Ironside Smoker - Slugger
2) LSG - Large
3) Cascade Smokers - The Continental

Side note: I've currently been on Ironside's waitlist for about 3-4 months.

Heard lots of good things about all three, good luck with your choice.

I have a pitmaker vault. I use water on two situation: 1) when temps spike and need to bring down. Water into smoke stack. 2) when running full cooker and bottom grate in use. Keeps from bottom of meats on bottom rack from burning.

I use foil covered drip pans mostly. I only use water when I'm burning pure wood. Same principle as my offset smoker. The water takes out some of the blast of the wood burning fire hot air passing by. To help get/keep more even temps and lower temps.
I will mention, in my experience. A loaded up cooker. No matter the type. Cooks differently full then when only having having one/two grates or minimal meats in the cooker. Makes a big difference IMHO.
When mine was reverse flow. There was no way to get even heat front/back and top/bottom loaded grates. I tried for almost 6 mths to get the dang thing to work. Water, no water, fire bricks etc. No real difference.
Top pic, original reverse flow. 4 grates, 8 identical ham steaks. Heat enters at the top and exits at the bottom. Drip pan ontop of pan with firebricks.
This will not due!
Reason for my mods..lots of mods.
Second pic, burning pure wood. using water in pan. 8, #8-10 porkbutts. I did have to rotate grates a couple times thru the cook. But not every hour like when reverse flow.

Attachments

• ham steaks 16.jpg
    ham steaks 16.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 8 butts 15 hr 250.jpg
    8 butts 15 hr 250.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 337
Ironside and LSG are both great options. I have the LSG, nearly bought the Ironside previously.

Ironside and LSG are both great options. I have the LSG, nearly bought the Ironside previously.

Same here. I would have went Ironside but the wait was longer. Absolutely love my LSG though.

What's the most you've loaded it up? Gonna do a big cook in under a month, brisket, ribs, chicken. Gonna have to try and fit 9 packers, curious how much more fuel I'll burn

Gonna do a big cook in under a month, brisket, ribs, chicken. Gonna have to try and fit 9 packers, curious how much more fuel I'll burn

The large? 9 briskets will probably fit on 2 racks.

The large? 9 briskets will probably fit on 2 racks.

Just went out with a 16 pounder and I think 3 15lb+ packers per rack, 12 is the most that would comfortably fit at once.... you say 18? Maybe if they are thin and you use the extra racks?

Also going to be doing 500 chicken legs and either a ton of ribs or belly burnt ends....can't decide. Gonna be a blast!

Same here. I would have went Ironside but the wait was longer. Absolutely love my LSG though.

What's the most you've loaded it up? Gonna do a big cook in under a month, brisket, ribs, chicken. Gonna have to try and fit 9 packers, curious how much more fuel I'll burn

BuffaloDave - so aside from the wait time you would have gone Ironside? What was the main things you liked about Ironside over LSG? I just got my text that my Ironside build should start in about a month.

BuffaloDave - so aside from the wait time you would have gone Ironside? What was the main things you liked about Ironside over LSG? I just got my text that my Ironside build should start in about a month.

I liked the option to go full wood, and the design looked nice. All's well that ends well though I wouldn't trade my lsg now!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions.

There are a growing number of high quality verticals out there now, and I think that is a good thing. While I tired of baby sitting my offset all day, I was hesitant to try yet another new design of smoker. Nothing I have ever used held a candle to the offset, but old age nudged me toward convenience and one more shot at nirvana.

After some adventures in the selection process ( half the fun), I settled on the Cascade Que Deville and it changed my smoking regimen entirely. The ease of use, quality of the build and finished flavor, furnished the trifecta I have searched for. All this, while I slept
peacefully through the night.

I think the insulated reverse flow vertical is the single best advancement in smoking in decades.

Have fun.

P.S. Offsets make great planters.

There are a growing number of high quality verticals out there now, and I think that is a good thing. While I tired of baby sitting my offset all day, I was hesitant to try yet another new design of smoker. Nothing I have ever used held a candle to the offset, but old age nudged me toward convenience and one more shot at nirvana.

After some adventures in the selection process ( half the fun), I settled on the Cascade Que Deville and it changed my smoking regimen entirely. The ease of use, quality of the build and finished flavor, furnished the trifecta I have searched for. All this, while I slept
peacefully through the night.

I think the insulated reverse flow vertical is the single best advancement in smoking in decades.

Have fun.

P.S. Offsets make great planters.

The reviews from you and luv2smoke were a big part of me buying a cascade. Not a lot out there on them.

Any of y’all with the mini have a picture of it fully loaded with meat?

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can use to cover the water fill port? To minimize air getting into the cabinet when water is not used?

Back