First chuck roast

DustyQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Smoking my first chuckie tomorrow on the UDS. What's your favorite preparation? Leaning toward savory rub, not a fan of sweet with beef.
Maybe faux burnt ends? Can I cube first and season all sides to get full bark coverage or will it dry out.
Just exploring options, any and all suggestions welcome.

Cook like brisket then cube for burnt ends. I use Oakridge Black Ops on my chuckies. I rub with EVOO first, season and cook till probe tender. We normally shred it like pulled pork and use in casseroles or for sandwiches.

If you don't have this rub I would go with SPOG or just salt and pepper.

I like my chuck smoke/braised and pulled. Smoke for a few hours until 160ish. Pan and foil with onions, peppers, and dark beer. Look up Pepper Stout Beef. Or I also do a bbq, root beer, and hot sauce version and pull it for sandwiches. Cook until a fork can shred.

Eat it over nachos, baked potatoes, quesadillas, omelettes, or just on a bun.

I like to keep my beef rubs simple: Salt & Pepper... maybe a little Garlic. That said, I used some John Henry's Mojave Garlic on today's chuckie, and it was outstanding.

SteveKing's Barbacoa.

Hands down, the best use of a Chuckie I've come across (thus far). Just made one today!

Whatever you do, hollar at us and let us know how it goes.

Enjoy!

Pulled Beef

A simple rub of something like fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt, and some garlic makes a nice pulled beef chuck roast. This meat can be used for many different treats and is just great.

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

We use this meat for several Mexican or Mex-Tex treats, and with the addition of some bbq sauce, a wonderful pulled beef bbq sandwich, beef manhattans are also great with this pulled beef. It's just great meat to have in the freezer and it can be fixed in a short time into several treats.

Thanks everyone. SPOG it is, threw in a little paprika for color. Getting tacky in the fridge now. Planning pulled beef sammiches for lunch!

Back