• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

It's a sad day--We've Lost A Brother

I'm sad now

I have not been on the site much in the last coupe of years, but today I enjoyed being on the site and reading a lot of the post until I got this one, now I am sad for not checking in more often....what a loss....I was wondering why I had not seen any of his post....

We had a lot of good times when he was here.....

He asked me to make a basket for his Qer, I bought the parts,,,,but never got around to making it for him...damn.

After my mom passed away, all I could think about was getting outside and starting a fire in the pit-- I didn't need to cook, but just smell the smoke. In her last few days, I was putting a fire in a cooker just to have something to do....

Over this past weekend, I finally got the chance to load up the Klose with nothing but Cherry (here's to you, K.C.!) and begin my meditation sequence of throwing on the sticks, watching the smoke and taking a deep whiff from the stack every now and then.

That smell of wood burning is timeless-- transports me back to almost every fall evening when the fireplaces are roaring and you imagine everyone cozy inside...Long walks in cold, empty streets when that smell is the only reminder of life....

It transports me and my mind away from the day to day....and allows me to remember good times before and to have faith that there will be more to come...

I'm rambling and fumbling to say that I want to believe life (or something like it) extends well beyond the years we have on this Earth, and when that blue smoke rose against the setting sun, my eyes teared up for my loss, and that of so many others......for those that are lost or struggling. We honor them by keeping these traditions alive.

Whenever I smell the smoke, I know there is no way I could ever forget.......

After my mom passed away, all I could think about was getting outside and starting a fire in the pit-- I didn't need to cook, but just smell the smoke. In her last few days, I was putting a fire in a cooker just to have something to do....

Over this past weekend, I finally got the chance to load up the Klose with nothing but Cherry (here's to you, K.C.!) and begin my meditation sequence of throwing on the sticks, watching the smoke and taking a deep whiff from the stack every now and then.

That smell of wood burning is timeless-- transports me back to almost every fall evening when the fireplaces are roaring and you imagine everyone cozy inside...Long walks in cold, empty streets when that smell is the only reminder of life....

It transports me and my mind away from the day to day....and allows me to remember good times before and to have faith that there will be more to come...

I'm rambling and fumbling to say that I want to believe life (or something like it) extends well beyond the years we have on this Earth, and when that blue smoke rose against the setting sun, my eyes teared up for my loss, and that of so many others......for those that are lost or struggling. We honor them by keeping these traditions alive.

Whenever I smell the smoke, I know there is no way I could ever forget.......

Matt, that's truly an unforgetable sentiment. I've written and erased 10 lines now because I know I can never say the right thing, but your strength continues to inspire me and makes me want for more each day.

Oddly enough, after a long week of work and too many problems, I came home tonight to the smell of burning wood. All I wanted was to sit outside, smell, and reflect. Meanwhile my wife thought there was a house on fire...

Been thinking about this alot lately

And in rereading here, others mention loss too.

I won't forget you Scott, and I was laughing to myself (while laying flooring) thinking about you.

I was cutting boards, and thought of you (the craftsman)

I figured you were watching, and laughing, and saying "what a city boy putz"

What can I say.

Cutting a turtle is tough

Miss you bro!

I didn't know him, but it tears my heart to know we have lost a brother. My thoughts are with his family and friends. May he rest in peace, smoke on brother smoke on.

I didnt know him but a freind of Q is a freind of mine. Just think it's always BBQ season now.

Man. I'm amazed how fast time has passed. I still wish I had found the brethren earlier and had gotten to know KC better.

I'm off to the store tonight for a pork butt...already got me some Cherry wood chunks. You guys know the rest...

Smoke on Scott...

I remember that day...........Kinda kicks my birthday joy right in the throat.

RIP Brother Scott!

Man. I'm amazed how fast time has passed. I still wish I had found the brethren earlier and had gotten to know KC better.
I know what you mean. If you go to many of the older threads, he's there, giving advice, cutting up, and just plain being a Brother. He set the bar high. Even though I didn't know him until after he passed, it seems that he is still here.

Teresa and I cooked 4 butts and 3 briskets (Fat cap up!), with, of course, cherry wood. I was amazed at how the cooker was dialed in, Teresa says "KC's minding the pit, let's go to bed." I get up 4 hours later to check things, pit is still locked in at the temp it was at when I went to bed.........Scott and I were close, and there is not a week go by I don't think about him.....Miss ya Brother!

E, I miss you my brother.

Wow! Has it been that long already? I remember when Greg called me with the bad news. It seems like it was just the other day.

Every time I cook with cherry I think of Scott. Also every time we have Chicago-style deep dish pizza I think of Scott. Some of our best conversations were about his quest to duplicate Chicago style pizza at home. I wish he had been able to spend some time in Chicago visiting some of the pizza places that we talked about.

Teresa and I cooked 4 butts and 3 briskets (Fat cap up!), with, of course, cherry wood. I was amazed at how the cooker was dialed in, Teresa says "KC's minding the pit, let's go to bed." I get up 4 hours later to check things, pit is still locked in at the temp it was at when I went to bed.........Scott and I were close, and there is not a week go by I don't think about him.....Miss ya Brother!
I alway's think of KC on labor day. My laptop
randomly generated a playlist yesterday and my turtle was smilingf:).

Back